Make a donation

Author Topic: Just had a helix clutch fitted got a few questions....  (Read 5632 times)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Just had a helix clutch fitted got a few questions....
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 10:34:57 am »
Can this judder cause damage to the car cause it feels pretty violent in slow moving traffic and doing hill starts!  :ashamed:

Doubt it will do the car any good!
Happy to have read this thread though - absolutely convinced me to replace my clutch with a standard item when it goes!

I do mostly town driving with my paddle, it's honestly fine.
my mrs can drive it, if she can so can you lol

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 10:40:17 am »
Can this judder cause damage to the car cause it feels pretty violent in slow moving traffic and doing hill starts!  :ashamed:

I've used Helix organic clutches for years in various VWs and believe me, they are among the smoothest out there in the aftermarket..... so yours juddering violently is not normal.   They can judder a *little* at a particular pedal position and rpm, but over time this will disappear completely at best, or stay the same at worst.

I would say bleed the slave cylinder again and learn to get the pedal / rpm balance right to work around the juddering.  Try pulling away with more revs than usual, but don't race the engine.  You should notice it's a lot smoother and will also help to bed it in.  If you feel it really isn't right (and it should be user friendly tbh), I would seek advice from the installer.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline TaylorGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Just had a helix clutch fitted got a few questions....updated!
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 02:48:16 pm »
So as I said previous was having a nightmare with the clutch. Gave Alex a call and had a little chat. Came to the conclusion it sou ded like it needed a bleed.

Turns out he was correct, got bleed today still slightly light at top but feels like a normal clutch then slightly heavier lower down but much lighter than before! No juddering on pull of and actually a rather nice bite!

Still getting used to the stronger bite but slightly more revs than usual and it's fine! I mostly town drive on hills living in Torquay and i can see it being fine for a daily driver!
R-tech Stage 2+ Pirelli Gti

Offline griff30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 07:44:16 pm »
Hi guys,  Good to read this thread as I need to do the same and am trying to find out about which clutch to go for. Helix and stock DMF seems to be the right answer.  Ive got an Edition 30 with 295bhp and 330 ft lb.

Can I ask where you got it from - is it AKS?  Im in Bristol so it would be a bit of a trip to get over there, is this the sort of thing you can get delivered and fitted locally (or did you go all the way from Torquay??!)

Cheers for any advice.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 08:29:16 pm »
^^^^ Contact Alex at AKS and he can supply and ship or supply and fit. Your in Bristol so no biggy to get to Bedford for a top service and very good price.

http://www.akstuning.co.uk

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline griff30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 10:30:53 pm »
Ok, thanks mate. Seems he is well recommended, Ill get on the phone to him tomorrow. Probably is worth a trip up there (although then I risk ending up buying more goodies as well!)

Offline griff30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 08:20:18 am »
I got my Helix fitted this week. Feels good - heavier pedal feel in the bottom half of the travel, as someone said above. Not a problem though I like the feel of it really. More solid feeling and sporty than the OEM. The biting point is much lower in the pedal travel as well which I prefer (like my old mini!). 
   I gave it a test out yesterday - after putting some town miles on it - and it seems solid as a rock so Im happy so far!

As the top cm or two of pedal travel is now effectively redundant (no resistance at all at first) Im wondering if I can make a little modification so the pedal doesnt come up so far, to make it quicker to get your foot up onto it...

Offline TaylorGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 11:18:21 am »
Tbh bud, now Iv put on about 2000 miles with about 400 town... Feels awesome! I got it bleed again couple hundred ago and now feels oem! Only time I notice difference is sat on m25 crawling forward and then I notice the slightly heavier pedal! Bite is still strong as ever.

As for the none existent feel at top I had that but now it feels normal all way down just slightly heavier once I get 3/4 of way down where it's actually engaging clutch.

My biting point like yours was very low but now thankfully it's mid range  :happy2:

R-tech Stage 2+ Pirelli Gti

Offline griff30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 04:34:02 pm »
Ok - it obviously settles in a bit later on then. Glad yours is still working well. Its a good upgrade I reckon for a mapped car. They need it.

Offline Stevepd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 05:13:57 pm »
Got mine from Alex last week & got it fitted on Thursday, I've only done 80 motorway miles. Peddle is heavier but I love it, not given it any beans yet as I'll put some mileage on it first.
Standard 5 Door Shadow blue.

Offline george_seamons

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 06:12:47 pm »
Looking forward to getting a Helix kit fitted to mine before I go stage 2+

Seems the stock clutches are pretty weak. Seen so many maps where the power has to be pulled back to stop the clutch slipping...seems a bit pointless having all the power of the drivetrain can't cope with it!