Make a donation

Author Topic: Thinking of changing from revo to rtech  (Read 6837 times)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: Thinking of changing from revo to rtech
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 06:50:15 pm »
Because most (if not all) of the Forge offerings for the TFSI are sh*te  :signLOL:

Just out of interest Dan, is this a proven fact or is this just your opinion?? what have you had experience with to say they are poor / not what you expected?

:happy2:

It's Nikis view from seeing hundreds of cars come to him with forge products.

Twintake = one of worst flowing kits for K04 engined cars
Catch can = caused smoke & poor running on some cars
DV = niki seen them leak boost
Twintercooler = no better than an S3 cooler (who still buys these??  :surprised:)

As an independent tuner that doesn't sell any similar or competing products, I trust his view. A lot of the above had been evident from other people's experience too (forum posts).
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline DomBacon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 11:15:04 pm »
Just doesn't feel right it's weird, the reason I said about going stage2+ because revo said it might help with a hpfp and the fueling will sort itself out etc
Given the car a full service and have someone help logging the car and changing the settings if needed and go from there

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 01:04:47 pm »
You don't have to run 2+ for a fuel pump and it's been proven that a pump will help on Stage 1 and 2 with Revo as it allows you to increase the fueling and gives you plenty of overhead on the high pressure side of things.

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 02:15:42 am »
I did indeed make the swap from revo to R-tech as it made a lot of sense to me

I was very happy with the revo 2+ on my s3 but also wanted to get the dsg mapped aswell, which as @DANBOY66 said is around the £500 mark with revo

After seeing the figures he got on his ed30 with pretty much identical mods it was a no brainer

My revo figures were 355/345 and once rtech mapped it was 355/400 so gained 55lbs of torque which is obviously very noticeable

Still need to get around to booking in for an rtech dsg map as on the day Niki was unable to do it as he was getting locked out, since then he's got an updated file and software

So once that is done I've basically got 55lbs of torque for free as getting both engine and dsg done by rtech is the same as the revo dsg software alone  :laugh:

Well worth it  :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:19:29 am by Little_Dave »

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 05:34:30 am »
Because most (if not all) of the Forge offerings for the TFSI are sh*te  :signLOL:

Just out of interest Dan, is this a proven fact or is this just your opinion?? what have you had experience with to say they are poor / not what you expected?

Twintercooler = no better than an S3 cooler (who still buys these??  :surprised:)

As an independent tuner that doesn't sell any similar or competing products, I trust his view. A lot of the above had been evident from other people's experience too (forum posts).

These people's experience You talk about..... You got examples?

Twin take I agree.
Catch can - thats interesting.
DV - is that due to it not being able to fit properly?
Cooler - So when mated to an s3 cooler, does it then perform worse?
My understanding is the s3 cooler is rated upto 400hp. If that's so why would the twin need to be better as after all, how many KO4 running over 400?
Having said that I recall a very interesting build on bear no to long ago running the twin cooler and power above 550 so interesting to see the above comment.
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 06:39:16 am »
  • Twintake chokes at a certain level - stupid enclosed filters. Change them and the issue goes away
  • Catch can supplied is too small, needs more volume. The make a can for the R32 which is more suitable
  • DV's leak. Absolutely no reason on earth to change from a Rev G
  • The S3 cooler is not 'good' for 400hp at all. A big turbo car could make 400hp on it, but that doesn't mean that it's good, effective or efficient. The Twintercooler design is damn awful in terms of flow, pressure drop etc.  Again if you strap a big enough turbo on it and request enough boost, you can force numbers but that does not mean it is a good design, or efficient, or that you'll see anywhere near the numbers you want on a standard turbo compared to other, better hardware.

It needs to be put in perspective - you may get X hp with that setup, but bolt on something like the Peron, a Wellycooler setup, and suddenly you'll have Xhp + an additional Y hp
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 06:42:11 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 01:31:43 pm »

These people's experience You talk about..... You got examples?

Twin take I agree.
Catch can - thats interesting.
DV - is that due to it not being able to fit properly?
Cooler - So when mated to an s3 cooler, does it then perform worse?
My understanding is the s3 cooler is rated upto 400hp. If that's so why would the twin need to be better as after all, how many KO4 running over 400?
Having said that I recall a very interesting build on bear no to long ago running the twin cooler and power above 550 so interesting to see the above comment.

Dan has covered some of the answers.

Forge DV: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,78399.msg818211.html#msg818211

on the TFSI tuning Facebook group (well worth joining if you are on FB), been literally 5 people every week complaining of white smoke & poor running. Each time it was remedied by fitting OEM PCV.

I'll try to find James post from a while back where his Forge catch can caused white smoke

EDIT: restrictive Forge Catch can: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43854.msg518133.html#msg518133

Can't find any posts on the Twintake, but I recall that @RedRobin removed his after noticing no gains over his OEM intercooler. Dan has the technical answer covered above  :happy2:

No one seems to buy the twintercooler these days, I think that in itself says it all. . .
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:37:29 pm by GrayMK5GTI »

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 11:27:14 pm »
I was also warned off the Twintake and the Twintercooler by an experienced and respected tuner who's opinion was based on experience.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 10:45:53 am »

on the TFSI tuning Facebook group (well worth joining if you are on FB), been literally 5 people every week complaining of white smoke & poor running. Each time it was remedied by fitting OEM PCV.

I'll try to find James post from a while back where his Forge catch can caused white smoke

EDIT: restrictive Forge Catch can: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43854.msg518133.html#msg518133

Can't find any posts on the Twintake, but I recall that @RedRobin removed his after noticing no gains over his OEM intercooler. Dan has the technical answer covered above  :happy2:

No one seems to buy the twintercooler these days, I think that in itself says it all. . .

....NOT SO!!!! No performance issues or problems whatsoever in my case with either Forge's Catch Can or Twintake!!!!

I am now at 115,000 miles and have run both for several years and many thousands of miles.

I wrote and posted full illustrated reviews on each product but don't know if this forum has archived them or just lost them.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:47:37 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 10:59:33 am »
what intercooler and turbo set up you got @Dan_FR?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2015, 12:53:38 pm »

....NOT SO!!!! No performance issues or problems whatsoever in my case with either Forge's Catch Can or Twintake!!!!

I am now at 115,000 miles and have run both for several years and many thousands of miles.

I wrote and posted full illustrated reviews on each product but don't know if this forum has archived them or just lost them.

Not disputing your catch can or Twintake (i didnt mention that above)- although i beleive you were aware of the catch can issue with james car (you've commented on his BT), and the poor performance of the Twintake on K04 cars (you updated your review to refect this).

I was specifically asking about the Twintercooler (not Twintake - my bad) :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:56:27 pm by GrayMK5GTI »

Offline Haz911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 06:33:14 pm »
I have had this 'white smoke' issue on my Edition 30, took off the forge DV, Revo catch can, and fitted a Rev G PCV and OEM Diverter and problem solved  :happy2:

I too am debating whether to swap from Revo to Rtech, not 100% on the Revo just feels a bit flat and boring now tbh...
2007 Tornado Red 3dr Edition 30 - Stage 1
1998 Polo 6n 1.8 20vt - 262 bhp

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gc9sig6c5s96ekqpdjv8kci294&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 06:36:58 pm »

They should still be there @RedRobin . Nothing has been removed to my knowledge.

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 07:02:04 pm »
Maybe your cars ain't taken well to the map and will benefit more from a custom.

My REVO pulls well has good figures and I love driving my car.

I got a good deal on the REVO map otherwise I would have went r tech. I factored in the time, effort and cost to go RTECH Vs REVO and it made sense for me to get the REVO map.

If you do go r tech and just so happen to have the REVO sps pro, I'll take that off your hands  :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2015, 09:13:57 am »

They should still be there @RedRobin . Nothing has been removed to my knowledge.

....Cheers, Rich. To be honest I haven't looked yet. I ought to find them and post links here but that's job #432!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!