Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice from HR people on part time holiday entitlement  (Read 896 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
Advice from HR people on part time holiday entitlement
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:14:33 am »
My wifes line manager is being a bit of a tit and even though she is an accountant, she can't seem to work out a few simple sums....

I'm a car cleaner FFS and I think I've got a better grasp on the numbers... but just wanted to get someone in HR to double check to see if I am actually correct

So my wife boss has sent her a memo saying she is entitled to 14.5 days + 8 public holidays. But because she started part way through the year she is only entitled to 12 days this year.

However.. my wife works 4 days per week, Mon- Thurs. She started this job on Feb 9th 2015. Her offer of Employment letter and contract state 20 days annual leave plus public holidays pro rata.

SO.

The 14.5 days the boss has come up with is based on the legal entitlement to 5.6 weeks annual leave per year. 5.6 weeks multiplied by a 4 day working week is 22.5 days per year (rounded up from 22.4). She's then deducted 8 public holiday days from this to reach 14.5 days.

Which is wrong.

Based on her ‘Offer of Employment’ letter and Contract which clearly states that she will receive 20 days annual leave plus public holiday pro rata.... I'm working out the following.

4/5ths of the 8 public holidays which is 6.5 days (rounded up from 6.4). So in a normal 12 months from January to December she will receive 26.5 days paid annual leave and out of this she has to deduct any public holiday which falls on a day she would normally work.

Incidentally this year, 2 public holidays fall on her normal day off (Good Friday - April 3rd and Xmas Day - December 25th) so these would not be counted against her annual leave entitlement.

Now for this year bearing in mind she started on February 9th 2015 meaning she worked 3/4 of February. Her monthly holiday allowance is 2.21 days (26.5 days divided by 12 months) therefore for the 3/4 of February she worked, she accrued 1.65 days. For the following 10 months of 2015 she will accrue a further 22 days (rounded down from 22.1). Adding the two together she is due 23.5 days paid annual leave for 2015 (rounded down from 23.65).

So far she has taken 4 days leave. There have also been 3 public holiday days which have fallen on her normal working days. April 6th, May 4th, May 25th. So out of her 23.5 days annual leave for 2015, at this point she has used 7 days leaving 16.5 days.

She's booked 5 days in July. There is also 1 public holiday day remaining in 2015 which falls on her normal working days. August 31st. This gives a total of 6 further days she has pre booked. This will take her down to 10.5 days remaining.

I know its a bit long but if someone can just confirm my maths is correct and that I'm correct in my understanding that part time workers are only required to take the public holidays they actually work out of their entitlement.

Very much appreciated in advance.

Nathan
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO