Make a donation

Author Topic: Routine replacement of HPFP...  (Read 710 times)

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
Routine replacement of HPFP...
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:21:35 am »
Hi Guys,

Just looking at the Piston Heads MK5 Golf GTI Buying guide. On the section regardign the engine, it says:

"The high pressure fuel pump is driven off the camshaft and the cam follower can fail. It's easy to rectify but needs to be dealt with immediately to avoid more serious damage to the engine. The pump costs around £30 for a replacement and experts recommend replacing it every 20,000 as a service item to avoid the risk of failure"

LINK: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-buying-guide-contents/vw-golf-mkv-gti-buying-guide-powertrain/32200

Is this advice of replacing the HPFP every 20k too overly cautious? If not, i would need to have mind done on the ED30 on its next service - its on 63k and never had HPFP changed.
Is it the same part for the ED30 and standard GTI? Anyone have the latest price for the OEM HPFP?

Thanks

Rich

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Routine replacement of HPFP...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:24:09 am »
It refers to the follower which can fail.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Routine replacement of HPFP...
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 11:30:27 am »
Yeah definately refering to the follower and tbh looking at the state of mine after 104K I will probably only ever check/replace it again when or if my car gets to 150K as it had such minor wear.