Make a donation

Author Topic: Warped discs?!  (Read 1313 times)

Offline NathED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Warped discs?!
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:38:28 am »
Hi guys

Recently had new discs and pads fitted on my R32 setup, but car has started to shake quite a bit when braking from higher speeds. And braking in general is slightly jerky, I noticed today that one of my discs is wearing weirdly is this a sign of a warped disc or something wrong with my pads?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reflex Silver Edition 30 #0063

Offline Jakesangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Warped discs?!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 10:12:01 am »
Our Gti started to do this a couple of weeks ago (standard brake set up) we were advised that our dics were warped so we changed the pads and discs which cured the problem straight away. I would take it back to the garage that did the work and get them to check it over for you. I'm sure the pads and discs would be under some kind of warranty so they may just replace them for you. Let us know how you get on  :happy2:

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 03:05:16 pm »
Get it back to whoever did the work and get the disks checked for warping/runout.
Its easy to do with a DTI (Dial Test Indicator)
Either the disks were not seated properly in the first place or more likely they are warped.
Are they a known make? Brembo, OEM, Pagid? Some cheapo copies are made from who knows what....

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=tq3fmah00l0im91tv2b2p0kr0m&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 03:08:15 pm »
Take the car out and give the brakes a good stamping on! It looks like that pads aren't fully contacting the disc
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:11:10 pm by rich83 »

Offline NathED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 03:36:34 pm »

Take the car out and give the brakes a good stamping on! It looks like that pads aren't fully contacting the disc

I have tried this but the initial shaking when I brake is horrible lol, but after a second or 2 of hard braking the shaking seems to subside a bit so might try this a few more times and see if there's any improvement!

Another side note, if I do change the discs is it advisable that I change the pads too as these were new with these discs not so long back so don't want to fork out unnecessary cash!

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reflex Silver Edition 30 #0063