Make a donation

Author Topic: New/been reading a while guy  (Read 1199 times)

Offline smifffy9

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
New/been reading a while guy
« on: June 01, 2015, 01:57:49 pm »
Hey Guys,

I have been silently trawling this forum for a long time and never posted.
I have a 55plate GTI with moon miles on. I love it.
I have just come back from the ring and its had a few braking issues but generally all good.

Much Love,
smifffy

Offline Milkman123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
  • My Ride: Black GT 170TDi. Full leather, RCD510, 18" charlestones, MDI., only 35k on her from new
Re: New/been reading a while guy
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 04:38:12 pm »
Got any advise 4 a ring newbie? Best times to go etc.

Offline smifffy9

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:52:49 am »
Theres a few words of wisdom I found useful,

1) Go out with a friend or someone from the car park, (Bridge to Gantry boys will always want to go out). They don't need to be good, its for you to feel how the track is. No amount of Gran turismo can give you the sense of how steep parts are and the feeling of being an inch from a 911 GT3 on full chat on a corner.

2) Dont be scared, I am always nervous driving through the barrier to start but once you get going and head under the bridge, dont be scared. If you are scared you are more likely to make a move that is unexpected to the car behind.

3) Stay to the right when theres traffic, I am no way a ring veteran so I usually slow to let the faster guys past (EVEN IF THERE IN A "SLOWER CAR"). I have had clio sports come flying up to me on the straights  :surprised: :confused: :confused: only to hear a huge blow off noise as the come past doing 40 mph more then me. Nothing at the ring should be under estimated.

4) Dont "go for it" on your first lap... dont "go for it" on your 30th lap... just slowly get more acquainted to the track, getting more confident, learning sections, learnign conditions, learning how the car moves around on the tyre, how the tyres and brakes start to fade away towards the end of the lap etc. etc.

5) Its mint... I love it... Im not the fastest but I have one of the largest smiles on my face.     

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 04:45:53 pm »
Sounds pretty awesome - I've never been.

Good advice as well. Will try it sometime. When GTi is a little more spec'd up. It's bog standard at the moment.
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline Milkman123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
  • My Ride: Black GT 170TDi. Full leather, RCD510, 18" charlestones, MDI., only 35k on her from new
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 07:21:33 pm »
Nice one thanks was going to go late April but wasn't well  :sick: hopefully later in year or next years. Gives us time to get my mates M5 in top condition.

Offline smifffy9

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:12:24 pm »
I will be going again at the end of summer, try to do it twice a year!

Dont worry about taking a bog standard gti, the car is good to start with, its still a hot hatch.

Mines only got a map and thats it **at the moment** still great fun!!!!