Make a donation

Author Topic: track day tyres : FAQ  (Read 61310 times)

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
Re: track day tyres : FAQ
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2012, 11:09:43 pm »
So thats now 3 threads that Bruce is posting in, adamant that his opinion is the only one that is correct  :fighting2:

Any relevance of it?
"You get what you pay for."

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2012, 01:12:08 am »
I still have them as well, Hurdy. I never minded they were as good at cornering as the R1-R.
But you shurely won't deny that many people had the splicing issues you can read about
on many forums..

The Paradas are no 'milestone' at all. They are crap.  :booty:

Probably why they aren't on anymore. I had them as they came with the alloys I bought off Blade (Ryan)
Golf R gone.

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2012, 10:28:06 am »
Hurdy, after seeing you track videos and the work that you have put in any of your cars I can say that we can very much trust your instincts.
BUT, IMO, to have a fair comparison between two tires we would have to have identical conditions. And, this is one thing that you don't have. To make matters even worse, to see how fast a tire really is we would need a racing driver who, lap after lap, has the same times and after changing the tires (and only the tires) he can make a comparison.
The reviews that each of us make are not objective (not because we don't try to be objective).

My personal idea is that there is no Jack of all trades.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2012, 01:12:46 pm »
Hi everyone!
I think I have to change my semislick Kumho v70a tires (these are almost slicks by now) and I am not sure what to buy...
The candidates are Kumho V70a (€ 202), Toyo R888 (€ 207) or Dunlop Direzza 03 (€ 247) all in 225/45/17.

Now... I am/was very very pleased with my Kumho so far. I used them for 5 Hungaring track days, 1 Spa track day and 23 Nurburgring laps. I even used them in the rain and they very predictable.
But, I think some wider tires would be better. For the same size (225/45/17) the Kumho are 224mm wide, the Toyo are 231mm wide and the Dunlop are 230mm wide.

So my questions are:
1. Do you know of any tests involving the 3 tires? I found tests for Kumho vs toyo but I found nothing about the Dunlop (which I know it is said to be the best of the 3)
2. Does anyone know the difference in wear between these tires?

Thanks for the help!

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2012, 02:21:32 pm »
Hello Rex,

I don't want to be boring and push the 03G again and again, you know I rate the
Dunlop as the fastest semi, but the Direzza will also last longest.

I already haven't had the chance to run them on my own GTI, but I know some guys
who had. That's why I rate V70a, PS Cup and 03G as the best in each price range and
the Dunlop as the ultimately best one of them.

:drinking:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2012, 10:06:35 pm »
Thanks the bruce!
I have to decide between the Kumho and the Dunlop but I think I will once more go with the v70a both because of the price and the fact that I was really happy with them.

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2012, 12:45:01 pm »
Hi Guys,

Going to do my first track day! I plan to use my existing fast road tyres which are Conti sport 3. Will they overheat easily and need to take a break every couple of laps? Also they are almost new on front, shall I expect them gone after the event??

Thanks a mill

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2012, 01:20:30 pm »
Hi Guys,

Going to do my first track day! I plan to use my existing fast road tyres which are Conti sport 3. Will they overheat easily and need to take a break every couple of laps? Also they are almost new on front, shall I expect them gone after the event??

Thanks a mill

Paul

....How they last will depend on how hard you drive them and whether it's wet or dry. If it's a wet day you'll be very happy and will be having to take care to avoid those spinning cars on slicks! I have only ever done trackdays on road tyres (Goodyear Asymmetrics) in both wet and dry and still enjoyed myself, but I don't bother to go for lap times.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2012, 01:54:30 pm »
Which track are you doing?  Some tracks are ALOT harder on tyres than others.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2012, 02:01:38 pm »
Keep it smooth and 10-15 minutes should be realistic, start spinning up or winding too much lock on and you'll cook them in a couple of laps.

I took the clutter out on Conti 5s and they were fine, its just a case of getting your pressures right. Start at say 32 cold and see how they're feeling and wearing.

If they feel greasy you've got them too high, come in, rather than have an off.

They should be scrubbing just at the shoulder, if you notice any scrubbing on the sidewall, you've got them too low.
Sideways yo!

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2012, 08:22:34 pm »
Which track are you doing?  Some tracks are ALOT harder on tyres than others.

I am going to Mondello Park here in Ireland

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2012, 08:28:25 pm »
Keep it smooth and 10-15 minutes should be realistic, start spinning up or winding too much lock on and you'll cook them in a couple of laps.

I took the clutter out on Conti 5s and they were fine, its just a case of getting your pressures right. Start at say 32 cold and see how they're feeling and wearing.

If they feel greasy you've got them too high, come in, rather than have an off.

They should be scrubbing just at the shoulder, if you notice any scrubbing on the sidewall, you've got them too low.

You mean 10-15 minutes of constant driving before I need to take a break to cool the tyres down? I suppose the only tyres that don't need cooling down are slicks as those are designed specifically for track? But then based on what I read here I need roll cage?

If I decide to start doing track days regularly the way to go would be a seperate set of tyres with alloys for track as they will last much longer then road tyres?

Thanks guys. Some very useful info here.

Paul

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2012, 08:37:32 pm »
Yeah, 10-15 constant driving then leave it 20 minutes and go again. Totally depends on your driving style. I've done 30-40 minute stints on track tyres and slicks will go longer as you say.

With regard to a cage, that's UK rules. They may let you run them in Ireland?

Spare wheels with track rubber is the way forward, for all the obvious reasons and the fact they'll run till bald which extends their usage but isn't exactly legal on the road.
Sideways yo!

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2012, 01:05:50 pm »