Make a donation

Author Topic: Shadow Blue 07 GTI  (Read 8762 times)

Offline Blackgtiman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Shadow Blue 07 GTI
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 12:33:09 pm »
where can I get those rear lights?

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 10:53:52 pm »
If youre in NZ, Trademe, if not, probably ebay.

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 12:01:15 pm »
Downpipe is in the car, pretty easy to fit really. Remove the engine cover, Disconnect O2 sensor connector and feed wiring down. Remove the two top nuts from turbo flange (long extension on ratchet). Lift car, climb under and remove the axle heat shield. once thats gone you can easily access the two bottom flange nuts. Remove them too (needed to buy a 16mm 3/8" socket and spanner for this as my 1/2" ratchet and socket was too big to fit).

Remove rear O2 sensor from pipe (will be fecking tight!), undo rear sleeve on pipe and side up pipe. Undo bolts on hanger and wrestle the pipe off the turbo and out of its home. Pull pipe out from under car.

Reassembly is reverse of disassembly.

Old pipe out,

Front cat

Both pipes together

O2 sensor spacer

And what a MK5 GTI sounds like with an open downpipe

And with new downpipe fitted

I do have one issue though, the centre hanger does not line up at all. This is something that i have heard others have issues with on other ebay downpipes. Its nothing major, and i have the car booked in on the weekend to see if i can get them to cut the mounts off and reweld them correctly. Dont want to drive too far without it attached as all the weight of the downpipe is resting on the flexi and turbo flange. Not ideal.

Whilst under the car i also replaced the intercooler o-ring that i noticed was flattened last time i was under the car

Overall impressions arent great. Its louder on cold start as expected, but other than that its really not that different. At WOT its noticeably louder but not amazing. DSG farts are marginally louder, and no popping or crackling. I suspect the fancy Jasma certified catback is stifling the awesome, but its a nice civilised exhaust.

Throttle response is good, maybe a bit sharper. The idle issues i had the other day were fixed with an ECU reset, its running great again.

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2015, 01:16:20 am »
cars back, goes like stink and i dont have to worry about the exhaust falling off now. Success.

Its is louder, makes some great noises at WOT. There is a whistle coming from the exhaust under boost, suspect the mid clamp between the two sections, or the VBand clamp is leaking slightly. Will deal with it another day, no tractor noises or smells though.

Also got around to fitting the DSG paddle extensions. Holy sh*t for something so simple, i cant believe it didnt come out with paddles this long standard. So much better, its more natural to flip the paddles now as i dont have to search for the little button on the back of the wheels. They do limit the space for fingers on the inside of the wheel, but its barely noticeable and didnt seem to impact me when test driving.

Before

After

Offline AMV

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2015, 01:42:56 am »
Great thread love the build, where did you get the puddle lights from?

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2015, 12:09:06 pm »
Puddle lights are factory fit, with LED bulbs fitted.