Make a donation

Author Topic: Getting Windows Tinted-Advice  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Getting Windows Tinted-Advice
« on: December 09, 2009, 06:45:53 pm »
Hey guys just after some advice about window tinting. I'm getting my Gti tinted tomorrow and i'm just wondering the process and how they do this as i don't want the interior getting marked. Obviously i'm guessing they have a certain way of doing this, otherwise they would have so many customers complaining and would eventually go out of business.

Can anyone who has had theirs done tell me how theirs have been and how the car was afterwards.

Also if you have any before and after shots of how it turned out, please post them up  :happy2:

Cheers guys

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
Re: Getting Windows Tinted-Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 07:07:38 pm »
It's a film on the inside of the windows. Nothing more to it than that.

Most car windows are already tinted slightly, so what ever you have applied (if any) to the front, do your self a favour and make sure it's legal or you'll have the Police standing over you at the side of the road as you rip them off.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 07:10:58 pm »
I went for a 30% tint on the 3 rear windows which is roughly what the OEM rear tint is. The only real difference between the film and the OEM tints is that you can see a lighter patch around the edges where the microdots are.
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 07:21:56 pm »
A couple of people have said if they don't take the windows out then they aren't that good. Would you say this is true?

Offline Frodo-anni

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:25:14 pm »
One of my clients is a window tinter and made a comment about a friends car that it had been done correctly as the windows had been removed.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:19:38 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Hmmm now that's got me wondering! Rob Gti do you know how yours were done at all?.

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 08:53:23 pm »
Mine were done from the inside with the windows still in the car. I would't imagine taking the windows out would give a better result as the white / pale border from the microdots is because the film does not shrink perfectly on the microdots which can be accessed from in the car also.

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 09:52:53 am »
Guys i need some quick advice again. I spoke to the tinting guy this morning and he said that the front windows are already the legal limit and if i was to go even slightly darker there is a chance i could get pulled over and torn off. How many of you have had yours done and gone darker on the fronts without problems?

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 10:26:19 am »
Guys i need some quick advice again. I spoke to the tinting guy this morning and he said that the front windows are already the legal limit and if i was to go even slightly darker there is a chance i could get pulled over and torn off. How many of you have had yours done and gone darker on the fronts without problems?

As above... don't do it. It's illegal and a waste of money. Not to mention dangerous. Your tinter is doing you a favour by being honest and is saving you money. I'd listen to him if I were you.

As of Jan '04 it is basically illegal to apply a film to any windows forward of the B pillar.

Not if, but when you are caught: If it's a fairly light tint you will be issued a rectification notice and probably just have to rip them out on the spot (or at least decent portion of the film - wasting your money). If it's too dark you're looking at having your car PG9'ed (taken off the road) and potentially a fine and points.

Also worth bearing in mind that if you do go ahead and do it, your insurance will be void and you will liable for prosecution if involved in an accident. Not just for no insurance but for technically having a defective vehicle and being in breach of Constr. & Use regs.

Better safe than sorry...  :happy2:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:35:07 am by animal »

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 10:52:14 am »
Actually you can have the fronts filmed but it has to let through 90% of light, which is what the standard tint does, therefore there is no point in it for aesthetics, but it can be done for security reasons (i.e. apllication of a clear security film). BUt I'm going off topic.....

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 10:53:14 am »

As other replies don't do it, mine are the rear quarters and rear window only.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 11:15:22 am »
Actually you can have the fronts filmed but it has to let through 90% of light, which is what the standard tint does, therefore there is no point in it for aesthetics, but it can be done for security reasons (i.e. apllication of a clear security film). BUt I'm going off topic.....

It should read 'tinting film', obviously a clear film isn't going to be an issue. It's 70% light transmission for the front side windows and 75% for a windscreen. If it was 90%, all our windows would be illegal as you're lucky to get 85-86% transmission through clear glass and that's witout the factory tint applied by the manufacturer!

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 11:29:44 am »
i cant add anything other than to say listen to animal  :happy2: