Make a donation

Author Topic: *pic request* eibach sportline's fitted  (Read 24343 times)

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: *pic request* eibach sportline's fitted
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 01:56:07 pm »
Even with standard suspension, the front tyres could rub against those screw heads on hard cornering with a bumpy road. Lowering the car just "exagerates" the problem.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2009, 02:13:38 pm »
OK, if I get this right the general impression is that spacers are a no, no!

RedRobin/Bacillus: I take it you have your cars lowered by a fair margin.  Do you get the occasional scrubbing/thud when driving enthusiastically?

....I don't know enough to be able to say that spacers are a no-no, but was only suggesting that I would expect them to be a no-no until someone can convince otherwise.

^ Yes I'm lowered but have only experienced 'the rub' on extreme tight corners like a very small roundabout when entering them a tad too fast - So I'll be asking Mark at VWR to sort out my screw heads when I'm next there. Otherwise she's incredibly well planted as you would expect on my setup.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 10:40:29 pm »
 My wheels just scrubbed against the wheel arches again today.  :sad:  Front and back this time!!! Damn this is driving me crazy.

Took my car to TTShop in Bedford (thanks for the lead RedRobin).  Very friendly and helpful.  They had a look on the ramp and nothing obvious struck out apart from that they thought the car looked particularly low.

They've taken photos and measurements and sent these to Eibach.  Let's see what they come back with... Am I the only one suffering this wretched issue????  :rolleye:

I also found out that the R32 side skirts have been increased to £188+VAT each when they previously were £50 a pop.  Anyone know where I can get primed side skirts and the OSIR front lip spoiler on the cheap?   :driver:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 10:57:54 pm »
ive got the sportlines and never had a single problem

and with regards to the side skirts. the r32 ones have never been that cheap.

the gti ones are the cheaper ones, they are still about 50/quid a side.

the GTI and R32 ones are exactly the same in terms of shape. the difference is, the r32 ones are smooth and primed. the GTI ones come as the black textured plastic as seen on the lower gti bumper

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • Billy lar
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 11:00:18 pm »

get your tape measure out, these 18''

this one coming home from france full tank, loaded top box, boot full of wine, half seat folded loaded to roof.
no rubbing

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Billy lar
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 11:04:14 pm »
ive got the sportlines and never had a single problem

and with regards to the side skirts. the r32 ones have never been that cheap.

the gti ones are the cheaper ones, they are still about 50/quid a side.

the GTI and R32 ones are exactly the same in terms of shape. the difference is, the r32 ones are smooth and primed. the GTI ones come as the black textured plastic as seen on the lower gti bumper
jay
not being picky, ED30 & R32 are same, gti has a line in the moulding at rear by back wheel
bill

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 11:05:18 pm »
oh really??

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Billy lar
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 11:17:37 pm »
not good shot, just been outside, like this J

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 11:31:01 pm »
Took my car to TTShop in Bedford (thanks for the lead RedRobin).  Very friendly and helpful.

I also found out that the R32 side skirts have been increased to £188+VAT each when they previously were £50 a pop.  Anyone know where I can get primed side skirts and the OSIR front lip spoiler on the cheap?   :driver:

....IIRC, TTshop got me my R32 sides (no line in the moulding) for about £50 and the price at the time was similar from my VW dealer.

I assume you mean the whole OSIR front spoiler. I've got just a carbonfibre centre section I could sell. If you come across a front spoiler like mine, make sure you ask whether it's a fibreglass or plastic version. The latest plastic ones are claimed to be more durable, though my fibreglass one is doing alright so far.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 10:45:15 pm »
OK folks... just to help with with my depression  :sad: regarding the scrubbing wheels I got myself a complete set of R32 rear lights.    :smiley:

Does anyone have a guide (for dummies) with pics on how to fit these? I had a peak at where the bolts are and they dont seem easily accessible...

Coming back to the occasional wheel scrubbing problem... had a bit of a wild thought, but worth asking just in case...  :driver:  Could I potentially adjust the ride height by adjusting the stock shocks, or is there anything else I could do to make the ride a few mm higher?

Thanking in advance...

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2009, 05:12:07 pm »

^ Your code shows that this is your front measurement ^

^ And this is your rear measurement ^

But are these measurements "after" loading for your trip or after new suspension?

Mine are 70mm at rear and 80mm at front with the VWR-KW-V3 setup.

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Billy lar
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2009, 06:44:57 pm »
ta red
didnt really take note which was which, them pics where taken after id fitted them from new, after kwik drive to settle.
i think theyve since sagged, when it was packed for france it was even lower.
bill

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 11:10:22 am »
OK folks... just to help with with my depression  :sad: regarding the scrubbing wheels I got myself a complete set of R32 rear lights.    :smiley:

Does anyone have a guide (for dummies) with pics on how to fit these? I had a peak at where the bolts are and they dont seem easily accessible...

Coming back to the occasional wheel scrubbing problem... had a bit of a wild thought, but worth asking just in case...  :driver:  Could I potentially adjust the ride height by adjusting the stock shocks, or is there anything else I could do to make the ride a few mm higher?
  :laugh:

In regards to your new lights, they are easy to do just a bit fiddly, you need a small 10 mil spanner.  :happy2:

And also guys in regard's to the side skirts, i believe VW have put the prices to the correct price now, as the whole of the UK where getting them way under priced for ages. Somebody dropped a bollock somewhere.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2009, 11:34:41 pm »
Got my R32 lights fitted.  Took me an hour, guess that's not too bad for some one who has never touched a spanner!!!  :rolleye:

Q1) Just trying to figure out how to get my photos posted.  Got them uploaded on MSN Photos...but can't seem to get  them to appear in a post.  Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Q2) I'm considering on installing either the Pro-Kit or Koni FSD shocks to eliminate/reduce the occasional scrubbing of my wheels (that is after removing my current Sportline springs  :sad:).  I guess the Pro-Kit is not as low as the Sportlines and this may help, not too sure about the Koni FSDs... Can anyone suggest which option would be a safer/better bet in resolving the scrubbing wheel issue?

P.S. I really do want to keep my Sportlines...so my preference would be to go for the Koni FSDs is they help.

Q3) In layman terms, can some one explain what's so great about the Koni FSDs?  Checked Koni's website and it's full of technical jargon that's beyond my non-modding brain.

P.S/ Sorry to have to ask so many questions...

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2009, 12:38:38 am »

Q3) In layman terms, can some one explain what's so great about the Koni FSDs?  Checked Koni's website and it's full of technical jargon that's beyond my non-modding brain.

....There is invariably a conflict/compromise between have harder dampers for better handling and softer for more comfort.

The KoniFSD's have clever hydraulics, not electronics, which smartly and dynamically react to the road surface and instantly adjust their own hardness/softness. So you get the best of both worlds.....But not without limitations.

Having done about 50k miles on FSD's before they failed, I would recommend them as a good mod for road use and one which won't upset a typical wife as passenger.

However, having graduated to a more hardcore suspension, I now don't care two sh!ts about my passenger's comfort because the full-blooded hard suspension delivers awesome handling and pleasure for me, the driver.

It's horses for courses and depends what you want to achieve and how much money you're prepared to spend.

HTH :happy2:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:42:09 am by RedRobin »