Make a donation

Author Topic: What pads?  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
What pads?
« on: December 15, 2009, 08:16:58 am »
Just after a bit of advice on what pads to get, i just want something better than standard suitable for the road, my car will not be seeing a track day...

Cheers people  :happy2:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Re: What pads?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 08:29:54 am »
Pagid or Textar - best quality road pads you can get OEM on nearly all German Cars

Ring brakes international on 01706 666999 Ask for Jason / Mark ask for BPT's NOT BPS's they'll know what you mean - tell them the Gay train Driver told you to call (extra discount.......and no Im not joking........ :ashamed:........and no Im not Gay    :ashamed:  nor do I drive a train.....nor am I being a smart ass to anybody who a) is Gay or b) drives a train.......cést lá vié!!)   :pomppomp:   :pomppomp:   :pomppomp:

Should be about £50-60

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 08:33:13 am »
Excellent mate cheers  :smiley:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 08:48:04 am »
Pagid or Textar - best quality road pads you can get OEM on nearly all German Cars

Ring brakes international on 01706 666999 Ask for Jason / Mark ask for BPT's NOT BPS's they'll know what you mean - tell them the Gay train Driver told you to call (extra discount.......and no Im not joking........ :ashamed:........and no Im not Gay    :ashamed:  nor do I drive a train.....nor am I being a smart ass to anybody who a) is Gay or b) drives a train.......cést lá vié!!)   :pomppomp:   :pomppomp:   :pomppomp:

Should be about £50-60

:grin: :grin: :signLOL:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:16:46 am »
you been on the eggnog Dave ?  :grin:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:34:47 am »

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:35:30 am »
If it's just for road use, I highly recommend Ferodo DS Performance pads too. Bite hard even from cold and aren't harsh on OE discs either.

Which model Pagids do you suggest Dave?
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:58:44 am »

Ring brakes international on 01706 666999 Ask for Jason / Mark ask for BPT's NOT BPS's they'll know what you mean - tell them the Gay train Driver told you to call (extra discount.......and no Im not joking........ :ashamed:........and no Im not Gay    :ashamed:  nor do I drive a train.....nor am I being a smart ass to anybody who a) is Gay or b) drives a train.......cést lá vié!!)   :pomppomp:   :pomppomp:   :pomppomp:

Should be about £50-60

:chicken:  Is this an accout set up for me.  :chicken:  I told you before i dont drive trains anymore.  :signLOL:

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 12:31:36 pm »
Agree with Animal, I have the same pads on my ed30 which for road use seems fine

Offline Steve Baker

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 01:50:57 pm »
*cough*

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9857.0

Talk to me!  :laugh: :happy2:

The VWR pads transformed my golf's poor standard brakes!.....................these are excellent value compared to new price  :xmaspresent:
Steve Baker

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 02:05:17 pm »
If it's just for road use, I highly recommend Ferodo DS Performance pads too. Bite hard even from cold and aren't harsh on OE discs either.

Lots of people find it hard  to accept thats there are only two different range of temperatures that are acceptable in the EU for pads and still qualify as reg 90. The German OE pads in the main fall in to the high temp category. Im a fan of DS2000 and DS2500 but only as a road pad. You'll pay 100% more for Ferodo's for maybe 10% extra ultimate performance. Textar on the R32/S3 pad are the same 4045 compound as Porsche OEM although the equivalent Pagid OE equiv pad is good also.

They also in the main have impeccable road manners and are quiet, having said that we've just made a warranty claim against the textars in messrs Stoke Balloon's Porsche GT2 setup as they were bloody squeaky.

For track use the PAGIDS 4-2' Blues are a great "Clubman" pad and you could probably drive home on them without plowing into the car in front when they get cold  :happy2:

@ the OP - I'd be very tempted by those pads from Mr greenouse if he can vouch for their cold performance, not a common pad but motorsport is a global stage and people who know about pads rate them very much.

you been on the eggnog Dave ?  :grin:

No more than most days!!!!!!!!   :rolleye:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 02:20:44 pm »

Lots of people find it hard  to accept thats there are only two different range of temperatures that are acceptable in the EU for pads and still qualify as reg 90. The German OE pads in the main fall in to the high temp category. Im a fan of DS2000 and DS2500 but only as a road pad. You'll pay 100% more for Ferodo's for maybe 10% extra ultimate performance. Textar on the R32/S3 pad are the same 4045 compound as Porsche OEM although the equivalent Pagid OE equiv pad is good also.

They also in the main have impeccable road manners and are quiet, having said that we've just made a warranty claim against the textars in messrs Stoke Balloon's Porsche GT2 setup as they were bloody squeaky.

For track use the PAGIDS 4-2' Blues are a great "Clubman" pad and you could probably drive home on them without plowing into the car in front when they get cold  :happy2:

@ the OP - I'd be very tempted by those pads from Mr greenouse if he can vouch for their cold performance, not a common pad but motorsport is a global stage and people who know about pads rate them very much.

you been on the eggnog Dave ?  :grin:

No more than most days!!!!!!!!   :rolleye:

Same as the OE pad, in terms of they didn't need to be warm to work well! Plus they give off less dust than the OE pad too which was a huge bonus for an OCD freek like me!  :laugh:

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 07:33:56 pm »
I was tempted by the vwr pads in the for sale section, but did't know if they would be too much for the road...

However my cousin (beddie) has just purchased some r32 brakes and has kindly said I can have his almost new ds performance pads when the r32's are fitted  :jumpmove: :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

Cheers for all the replies though very useful.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:53:53 pm by Aparoon »

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 02:03:10 pm »

I didn't think DS2500 were road legal Dave? They didn't work well enough from cold for my stop-start commute, especially this time of year hence the switch to DS P's which are a massive improvement for normal road use. DS Performance (formerly DS2000) bite like OE pads when cold which is fine for commuting but whack them on hard and get them up to temperature and the performance increases dramatically when you need a bit of extra bite.

I only use Ferodo as I get them at trade price plus a discount through a contact at the distributor, so the price isn't so much of an issue. I was shocked when I saw the retail price of part-worn DS2500s I have scullying around in my garage though! I don't track my current car either, so the high-temp issue associated with fast-road spec Ferodos isn't a concern either.

Horses for courses...
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator