Make a donation

Author Topic: Lazy DSG gearbox  (Read 4655 times)

Offline robmcclel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 7
Lazy DSG gearbox
« on: June 16, 2015, 02:22:07 pm »
My auto box on my car seems to have gotten a bit lazy recently, it seems to be holding the gears a lot longer and seems reluctant to change up a gear unless I manually override it. in both sport and drive it seems to be holding on to the gear when you are just driving at a gentle pace rather then changing up a gear, for example it will rev up to 3/4000 revs in 3rd/4th gear and stay there it wont automatically change up?? It seems to have happened since I took my intercooler, intake and exhaust off and reverted back to standard. The car is only running at stage one so its not as if its reliant on the mods to suit the map. that and the fact my mum was driving the car for a week or so it's happened since then so I cant put my finger on the cause.

one of the abs/speed sensors has gone as it occasionally flashes up on he dash to tell me, could this be the cause? or would it benefit from a gearbox reset with vagcom?

Offline robmcclel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Lazy DSG gearbox
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 04:15:29 pm »
Anyone have any ideas?  :confused:

Redemption

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:24:50 pm »
I'd get it scanned and see if any faults have been logged for starters. A DSG Adaptation is worth doing as well. When was the box last serviced?

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 04:48:02 pm »
Was the DSG mapped as well?

In Sport and Manual Mode the gears will at higher revs as it expecting a bit of a thrashing and will keep it where it needs to be.

In 'D' though it should get into 6th as standard at around 37-42mph (can't remember fully).

Unless in 'D' you are applying more pressure on the accelerator then it will naturally build revs before changing as it feels you want to accelerate, as soon as you ease off or balance the accelerator it would change gear.  You probs know this anyway lol..

A VCDS gearbox reset and calibration wouldn't hurt I don't think and as was said above, maybe it's due a service?
2005 Gti - 5dr, DSG, Black
2003 Toyota MR2 Roadster, Chilli Red
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 06:37:22 am »
I get that now and again but it's the gearbox doing a basic reset
Golf 2006 tdi 140pd, dsg paddles,blue interior led lights,r32 rear bumper, cruise control,vcds,highline , r32 mfsw steering wheel, gti front bumper,miltek decat.

Offline robmcclel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 09:05:43 am »
Thanks for your help, it seems to be holding the gears in D asif it's expecting you to thrash it. I'll try a gearbox reset on VCDS and I'll have a look through the service history to see when it was last done, I can't remember seeing it has had one last time I looked at the history. How often is it they need servicing?

Redemption

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:09:26 am »
Thanks for your help, it seems to be holding the gears in D asif it's expecting you to thrash it. I'll try a gearbox reset on VCDS and I'll have a look through the service history to see when it was last done, I can't remember seeing it has had one last time I looked at the history. How often is it they need servicing?

Every 40,000 miles.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 04:53:41 pm »
I'll bet it is knackered rear wheel bearings.

Very common fault, the rear wheel bearing housing contains the stator for the rear wheel speed sensors.  These corrode over time, and the stator becomes less efficient.  The actual plastic speed sensor can be in perfect condition, and won't even register a fault on VCDS - although sometimes they do log a fault on VCDS.

Exact same thing reported by OP happened on mine.

By all means, change the oil and filter in your DSG box, and then get it recalibrated via VCDS - but it wont fix the orginal prob if there are any faults in the ABS/ESP system.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:55:58 pm by Teutonic_Tamer »
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline robmcclel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:38:29 am »
thanks, might have to give that a go. Have you got a rough idea of what its likely to cost to get the work done?

Offline cass

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 01:57:06 pm »
x2 for the rear bearing ....mine was the same. Changed both side and all was back to normal.

Offline robmcclel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 09:23:51 am »
x2 for the rear bearing ....mine was the same. Changed both side and all was back to normal.

How much did you pay to get them both done?