Make a donation

Author Topic: Brakes and fitment.  (Read 695 times)

Offline bbfb10

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,83664.0.html
Brakes and fitment.
« on: June 18, 2015, 11:18:34 am »
Morning all,

Im getting my TTRS calipers fitted on Wednesday (probably) with @DaveB@Vagbremtechnic brackets to fit TTS 340mm discs. Im 99% sure lm going to need 10mm spacers to fit behind my standard 18" Monzas. Does anyone know how to work this out or is it a case of just 'seeing what works' with the fitment?
I also need the pins etc to attach the Mintex 1144 pads to the calipers, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks.

Full VCDS Hex + Can.

dansmith180

Re: Brakes and fitment.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 11:44:01 am »
I have the same brake setup and I think you'll need 12-15mm spacers (not sure as I've never had Monza's over mine). I assume you have a 225 tyre? Are you lowered and by how much. If you're not lowered you should be fine and if you are you'll probably need get your arches rolled or the 'screw delete mod' and that should be fine.

Offline bbfb10

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,83664.0.html
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 11:48:47 am »
Hi @dansmith180 Im running Bilstein B6s with Eibach Sportlines, so lowered a bit, but not loads. Tyres are 225's.
How do l know which spacers l need?

Full VCDS Hex + Can.

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 11:52:04 am »
I think the proper way is to look at your offset (which is in mm) and check the current clearance between the sidewall of your tyre and the closest point in the wheel arch. This gap reduces as you lower the car, so as mentioned you'll have to consider that. Also consider the increase in offset by using spacers may push the tread of the tyre beyond the limit of the arch which is illegal on UK roads and why people go for a stretched tyre option (going from a 225 to a 215 tyre for example), helping to negate the increase in offset slightly.

Depending on who's fitting them depends on how many spare sets of spacers and bolts (definitely remember to use longer bolts!) they have on the shelf at the time. Someone like AKS Tuning usually have a load ready to deploy at short notice but if not I'd get a 10, 12 and 15mm set ready to use at short notice.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

dansmith180

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 11:57:35 am »
There is no way to know which spacers you need exactly without finding someone who's done it or just trying different ones. Every wheel is different and there no way to work it out for definite. I think a 15mm would be the maximum you'd need and the Monza is 7.5j ET51 (I believe) so with a 15mm spacer that's the same as 8j ET42 with a 225 tyre which is exactly what I run (but 19") and with a rolled arch there's no issues and I'm lowered about 40mm.