Make a donation

Author Topic: Metallic Sound coming from rear wheel, now gone but should I get it checked out?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
As the title. A week or so ago I noticed a sound, which at first I thought was my exhaust scraping along the ground, coming from the rear drivers side wheel. I only noticed it when I put my window down to get a ticket at a car park, so it wasn't that loud at all. Had a visual and couldn't see anything obvious. This was on the Friday and it continued all weekend  and then on Monday - nothing - completely stopped. The best way to describe the sound was like you were dragging a tin can along the road.

Having spoken with some people, the usual suspects came up - bearing etc. But a couple of mates suggested some stones had got in between the heat shield of the brake and that might be the cause. This sounded plausible as the road near where I live had recently been resurfaced and the stones still fly off now and again.

Just wondered if this was a common thing with golfs and whether I should still get it in for a quick once over. I'm getting my winters on tomorrow so might ask they tyre fitter to have a proper look when the wheel is off.

Cheers in advance.

Gaz

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
Possibly a stone caught between the disc and the guard?

Did it coincidentally go after some harsh braking?
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Padraig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
This happened to me a few weeks ago, but lucky for me it was just a stone caught between the guard and the disc,

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Possibly a stone caught between the disc and the guard?

Did it coincidentally go after some harsh braking?

That's the thing - it didn't as the last thing I did was reverse into my drive. However it was not apparent any time I reversed either. One of my S3 owning mates seemed to reckon reversing his car got rid of the stone in his, so possibly something to do with the reverse motion dislodging the stone?

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
I've had it numerous times over the years, heavy braking or reversing are both plausable reasons to dislodge it.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Cheers guys, reasonably reassured now.

:happy2:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
Cheers guys, reasonably reassured now.

:happy2:

I had this coming out of a client's gravel driveway. Sounded like the exhaust had come off and was dragging along the road! I reversed a few times and it fell out from between disc and gaurd. Horrible noise though!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Pete-r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Sorry for the resurrection but I had this today and it's the second time in a few weeks. Any harm in pushing the shield away from the disc a bit because it seems very close to it.

I'm also getting ridiculous squeal sometimes on medium steady braking, despite recently swapping pads and putting anti squal grease on them. I'm wondering if maybe it's not the brakes but the shield that's resonating if it's touching the disc?

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
no harm in pushing the shield back a touch.

if the shield was touching the disc/s, i would have thought you know when not applying the brakes too  :happy2:
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
It is worth checking the condition of the backing plate. I replaced my NSR plate a few weeks ago, as it was corroded & rattling against the disc. I had initially thought it was a stone caught up, but once up on the ramp, it was clear to see the rotten plate.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Pete-r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Cheers I'll check for corrosion, I've noticed it only when driving the car for a while so I'm thinking the heat is causing the shield and disc to touch or something.

Offline sjr999r

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Speed is just a question of money
    • Email
Be a stone. Had that the other in Cornwall,turned around picked it up,f**k me didn't it make a noise!