Make a donation

Author Topic: i like these help me stop spending if you can lol  (Read 5332 times)

Offline matsu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
i like these help me stop spending if you can lol
« on: December 11, 2009, 08:33:58 am »
 :ashamed: :confused:i seem to keep coming back to look at these.....
 :ashamed:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250543937029&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

this is sorta how they would look, but on BMP

and seeing as iv had a bit of grief over my other lites its these ............or some LEDs later in the spring, but not so sure about full leds on a bmp?

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline t20lau

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Website design Sheffield
    • Email
Re: i like these help me stop spending if you can lol
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 08:37:50 am »
Getting something similar fitting to mine over the weekend (hopefully)...

I'll get some pictures up once done :)
SEAT Ibiza Sport | Vauxhall Astra VXR | BMW Z4 M-Sport | VW Golf GTi Edition 30 | BMW F30 330D X-Drive

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:58:30 am »

Very shexy! I love them but there is one extremely important question: Are they legal for use on public roads in the UK?

Are they a factory item or a one-off by a mad German modifier?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:06:34 pm »

Very shexy! I love them but there is one extremely important question: Are they legal for use on public roads in the UK?

Are they a factory item or a one-off by a mad German modifier?

just what i was about to say!!! would only suit dark coloured GTI's imo

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline matsu

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 12:15:20 pm »
phew.... thought it was just me-not sure about the legality of them i believe the tint allows the full strentgh of the the bulbs to come through.
anyone know about the legal side?
thanks for the input guys.. ..... i think, cos they just moved up the "must have" list :sad1:
matsu

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 12:17:45 pm »
phew.... thought it was just me-not sure about the legality of them i believe the tint allows the full strentgh of the the bulbs to come through.
thanks for the input guys.. ..... i think, cos they just moved up the "must have" list :sad1:
matsu

They look pretty illegal to me, I can't see how lenses that dark can possibly illuminate to the same level as original lamps.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline em2evol

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • Let's Motorvate!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 12:36:55 pm »
I like these... not OEM enough for my own personal car but would best on a black car I reckon, different anyway!   :happy2:

:xmassmiley:

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 12:40:38 pm »
matsu

They look pretty illegal to me, I can't see how lenses that dark can possibly illuminate to the same level as original lamps.
I don't think that's the issue for the law. If the bulbs were bright enough, they could shine through. I think the issue would be that the reflectors would be useless, but in this case that's not a problem due to the R32 bumper having reflectors built in

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 12:52:32 pm »

....Exactly my thoughts too.

It doesn't matter how great or cool they look if the law pulls you. And even if you get stopped for something else, they'll quite rightly give your car a thorough eye over and could most likely hit you with the illegal lights.

Also, if someone crunches you in the rear and it's entirely their fault, it's conceivable that if the other party contests the blame and points towards the legality of your rear lights, the outcome could go against you.

I'm not wanting to piss on your fire, but it is a real consideration. Just check their UK legality.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 01:45:44 pm »
To be honest, it's more about the MoT than being pulled by the Old Bill. The reflectors are a legal requirement but the R32 rear end solves that. The rest is a little bit more subjective and is down to the descretion vehicle tester or Police officer. So long as the colour and intensity (from a 'reasonable' distance) are considered to be ok, you should be fine.

With regards to fitting higher power bulbs, this presents two further problems. The first is the extra heat generated by high-wattage bulbs and the effect this could have on the lenses and bulbs holders. The second, is the additional current they will draw and the load they will place on the wiring, which could also potentially (I stress potentially, not definitely) melt. Plus, finding higher power bulbs with the right fitment could also be an issue and/or be quite expensive. Not sure how the computer system will cope with the higher draw as well - obviously it's designed to flag a fault when a bulbs fails (based on the drop in current being drawn). It might also throw up an error (and shut off the bulb) is the draw is too high as well? But this is pure speculation.

Having never really payed any attention to it before, can anyone answer why the R32 has reflectors in the bumper and the GTI doesn't but they both use the same design of light cluster?
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 02:13:46 pm »
Not to my personal taste at all.  :sick: I think they are way to dark. But then again you may not like the things I do so all I can say is if you like them get them! It seems im the odd one out on this one anyway!  :signLOL: :happy2:

Offline t20lau

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 02:19:59 pm »
I Believe there is a limit that you have to be showing a minimum of 50% of the OEM light!

I'll have showing similar fitted this weekend if I can get the car down to the garage, so i'll post pictures once one! It's not as nice to look as at the one posted, but it does a similar thing and at the same time passes MOT's...
SEAT Ibiza Sport | Vauxhall Astra VXR | BMW Z4 M-Sport | VW Golf GTi Edition 30 | BMW F30 330D X-Drive

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 02:21:13 pm »

Having never really payed any attention to it before, can anyone answer why the R32 has reflectors in the bumper and the GTI doesn't but they both use the same design of light cluster?

....I think it's because they were first introduced for the USA market and then production was standardised, but I don't know for sure.

Good point about the MOT rather than traffic police stops.

Offline matsu

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 02:40:19 pm »
thanks you guys.....NOT! the object of this thread was to put me off not all push me further down the bleeding slope :P
but i like them and think they will look ace on my bmp girl but i will check MOT wise and weigh up the costvs agg vs looking like i want.
seriously tho...thanks for all the input
matsu

Offline t20lau

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 02:41:43 pm »
thanks you guys.....NOT! the object of this thread was to put me off not all push me further down the bleeding slope :P
but i like them and think they will look ace on my bmp girl but i will check MOT wise and weigh up the costvs agg vs looking like i want.
seriously tho...thanks for all the input
matsu

Looked into this man, you need to have 50% of light ;)