Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying used from a VW dealer  (Read 3745 times)

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
Buying used from a VW dealer
« on: July 01, 2015, 02:54:33 pm »
Hello all,

so im going to be looking at a Used Scirocco tomorrow:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501310576715/usedcars?logcode=visc
Don't think it has any options.

Thing is, ive never bought a used car from a 'main dealer' before.

I always like to haggle, but what should I aim for? Do they tend to be quite strict n price?

I will be buying in cash, if that helps.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:01:28 pm by DanGB »
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Re: Buying used from a VW dealer
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 06:59:22 pm »
I reckon you can get £1k off that price .... I'd start the process by offering £13000 Cash
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Different
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:29:05 pm »
Ok that's ambitious,bit worth a try  :smiley:

On the phone today they said they just reduced it recently and had lots of interest but could well be telling porkys!

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:04:03 pm »
If your a cash buyer ......private sale is the way to go! Dealer won't budge much if anything and will be more interested in signing you up for finance

Buy private, it's a buyers market you'll get more car for your money and a better deal

Iv been buying cars privately now for around 4yrs and Iv not lost money on any of them when Iv sold up!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:08:58 pm by Johnsy »

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Different
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 09:34:50 pm »
Would love to buy privately, but there are literally hardly any Scirocco's out there in the spec I want!

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 10:39:44 pm »
Would love to buy privately, but there are literally hardly any Scirocco's out there in the spec I want!

What spec do you want ?

At that age there more than likely still owned and on finance
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:41:44 pm by Johnsy »

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Different
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 10:45:02 pm »
2.0TSI, White, 10-12 plate. under 40k. With Phone option. Not too fussed on other options.
Only a few on Autotrader under 15k.

Offline Dave(tm)

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89462.0.html
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 10:55:03 pm »
I bought my motor from the main dealer. I did manage to haggle a fair bit - had to be very patient with them. I was a cash butter and yes, they tried to sign me up for all sorts. One advantage is you get a years warranty with approved vw's, though I've not tried to use that yet!

Just take a look, see if you can get it at an affordable price and go from there :-)

Dave

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 09:35:50 pm »
I got nearly £1000 off my ED30 (16000 miles) when i bought it for cash in 2010 from a VW Dealer , was about £13k i paid ...

Johnsy's been buying cars for 4 years ! Unless you know your stuff i would never risk any more than £7-8k private . The extra you pay from a main dealer/decent dealer is well worth the peace of mind .... I have been buying cars for 35 years  :happy2:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 09:41:25 pm »
Aswell as trying to knock cash off, try negotiate 2-3yrs warranty and a service package

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Different
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 09:02:09 am »
So thanks for your input guys.

So funny story about this car.

Firstly it wasn't very clean, I thought the cars would of been presented to a higher standard at a dealer.

I had a very good look at the car and discovered it had front and rear Eibach anti rolls bars, and interestingly a Eurojet IC pipe.

Then looked at the service book, and the first two services had the REVO stamp!

Walked away from it considering this, and later googled and found it was only the REVO demo scirocco!!
Previously 360hp odd, and thrashed to an inch of its life lol.

Looked at another one which was immaculate but the milage was higher than I wanted at 47700 (2.0TSi DSG)

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 11:13:55 pm »
I've bought five cars from dealers, all new or less than two years old (all for other people - my mk 5 GTI is nine years old).  Here's what worked for me, every time:

1  Decide on the exact model, spec, mileage.
2  Find three matching cars, at different dealers.
3  At 9am, turn up at the dealer furthest away and ask for their best price.  If you have a trade-in, make sure it's there, shiny and with service history.
4  Armed with the first dealer's 'price to change', repeat the exercise at the second dealer.  Tell the salesman what the first dealer offered and point out any differences between the first car and the second (whether it's to your advantage or theirs - it removes any bargaining power they may have).  When you get the second price to change, tell the salesman the price quoted by the first dealer and ask them to try again if their price wasn't already better. 
5  Repeat step four at the third dealer and tell them that they are your preferred choice because they're the closest.  However (you say), the first two dealers will deliver it for free, so they have to beat dealer 2's price, not just match it.
I never tell them what I do for a living even though I'm not in the trade.  I just smile or say I no longer work (how I wish that was true!)  I never appear too keen or in a rush.  It's simply a business transaction - there's no emotion involved.

One day of this has never saved me less than £1,000 and often more.  Try to enjoy it!

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 11:28:16 pm »
Quote from: DanGB
I had a very good look at the car and discovered it had front and rear Eibach anti rolls bars, and interestingly a Eurojet IC pipe.

Walked away from it considering this, and later googled and found it was only the REVO demo scirocco!!

Looked at another one which was immaculate but the milage was higher than I wanted at 47700 (2.0TSi DSG)

Wow you seem specific lol.
All my vws have been high mileage and had no issues. Im on my 3rd now. All over 100k and i dont drive slow. All my cars have been tuned substantialy. Generally driven harder cars are looked after better ;)

If you want low miles then pay the extra price considering it has no meaning in the condition of the car lol.

Funny story tho.

Hope you find the car your after! :)

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Different
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 08:32:48 am »
Quote from: DanGB

Wow you seem specific lol.
All my vws have been high mileage and had no issues. Im on my 3rd now. All over 100k and i dont drive slow. All my cars have been tuned substantialy. Generally driven harder cars are looked after better ;)

If you want low miles then pay the extra price considering it has no meaning in the condition of the car lol.

Funny story tho.

Hope you find the car your after! :)

I did by my 1.4 Lupo at 103k. Its still going strong at 135k 4-5 years later.  :laugh:

Offline Ricky123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98436.0.html
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 08:38:01 pm »
If your a cash buyer then as said above private is the way to go for the best deal. just remember if your parting with that sort of cash then an RAC or AA inspection is well worth paying for. Even if you no what your looking at it still gives you piece of mind.

After that I'd try the smaller forecourts, a lot of people avoid these places but there not all bad. I worked at a car supermarket style garage for a couple of years doing all sorts off jobs. If they had a car in stock that had been there a while then they always sold it a lot cheaper, in some cases making a loss.

They had an Audi A5 cab in when I was there, couldn't fault it in anyway, average mileage and full history etc. It was on the forecourt for about 5-6 weeks unsold, a guy came in for a look at it and made them a low ball offer and they accepted it! I'd seen then selling privately for more.

They won't all be like that but most places buy there cars using a stocking loan which is normally interest free for a month or so and if the car hasn't sold by that time then there paying more for it.

Another tip to get a good deal is to go at the end of the month, if the salesman your dealing with hasn't met his target and he's only a couple of cars away then he'll do as much as he can to sell you the car.
56 mk5 ed30 3dr
57 mk5 1.9 TDi match
22 a3 s-line competition 45 tfsiE
09 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (road going track sl*g)