Make a donation

Author Topic: Do mk6's rust?  (Read 8690 times)

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
Do mk6's rust?
« on: June 24, 2015, 02:47:07 pm »
Does any know or seen any mk6 golfs with rust on? We all know the places where rust likes to be on the mk5 but haven't seen any on the mk6......yet atleast. My mk5 just got rust coming through on both doors in the bottom right corner by the wing (3door)  :sick:  :sick:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 06:19:03 pm by Chris92 »

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Re: Do mk6's rust?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:33:49 pm »
As the wing/sill issues were well-known on the mk5, they should have definitely ironed this out on the 6.

I owned a 3 year old mk6 and had no signs of corrosion
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:58:54 pm »
Seen videos on YouTube of soaking wet sponge/sound deadening in front wings of mk6 Golfs.

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 03:39:25 pm »
Yep don't kid yourselfs that the mk6 will be any better than the mk5 as it's essentially the same car/chassis!
Poor design where wing meets sill and absorbent sponges stuffed inside wings that will rot them from inside out nicely  :sick:
My mk5 is rust free, 1st thing i did when bought it was remove arch liners and trim back those sponges and then apply a few layers of Bilt hamber S50 clear wax/corrosion sealer killer to inside of all arches as the rear arches are known to rust too!
Plenty Hd wax applied around the rear VW boot badge/handle too  :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 03:51:30 pm »
The mk5 had been out for around seven years before the rusty wings issue became widespread, seeing as the mk6 has the same sponge in the same place, you will start to see a flurry of complaints coming in the not so distant future.
Both my mk5's got it between five and six years old.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 06:48:07 pm »
Yep don't kid yourselfs that the mk6 will be any better than the mk5 as it's essentially the same car/chassis!
Poor design where wing meets sill and absorbent sponges stuffed inside wings that will rot them from inside out nicely  :sick:
My mk5 is rust free, 1st thing i did when bought it was remove arch liners and trim back those sponges and then apply a few layers of Bilt hamber S50 clear wax/corrosion sealer killer to inside of all arches as the rear arches are known to rust too!
Plenty Hd wax applied around the rear VW boot badge/handle too  :happy2:

That's the first thing I did too, wheel liners out, good clean out, sponge thing out and I did that on all four corners and also clean the under body and applied bilt hamber dynax UC to underbody and wheel arches. Was no signs of rust then when I did it, don't think it matters what you do it'll happen stuff like this needed doing years ago.

I know it's the same car but I was hoping vw would of sorted some of these issues out on the mk6. Looking to sell have been thinking I fancied a change a while now so now is a good time. Was looking at mk2 focus rs and the mk2 focus seems just as crap with rust as the mk5 golf  :sick:

Just got back from ibiza on Tuesday and the amount of old cars out there is amazing, mk2 golfs, renault 5s etc. uk climate..... :sad1:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:50:01 pm by Chris92 »

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 01:11:32 pm »
Galvanized Steel (My metal dustbin is 28 years old and no sign of rust , same with my wheelbarrow !) - Why don't they use that ? or Alloy ? If i know a car would never rust i would pay a premium , who else would ?
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 02:44:29 pm »
Galvanized Steel (My metal dustbin is 28 years old and no sign of rust , same with my wheelbarrow !) - Why don't they use that ?

They already are  :happy2:

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 03:11:45 pm »
It's a joke tho the whole thing, with all this taxing etc for "global warming" and save the planet surely the tossers that squeeze us of every penny we earn should be making sure all these big manufactures actually make products that last. Cars should last way longer than they do, there are a lot of cars that might aswell be throw away cars, a Renault clio is the perfect example of a throw away car pure junk. Not just cars most things just don't last IMHO.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:37:32 pm by Chris92 »

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 05:40:09 pm »
It's a joke tho the whole thing, with all this taxing etc for "global warming" and save the planet surely the tossers that squeeze us of every penny we earn should be making sure all these big manufactures actually make products that last. Cars should last way longer than they do, there are a lot of cars that might aswell be throw away cars, a Renault clio is the perfect example of a throw away car pure junk. Not just cars most things just don't last IMHO.

+1 for the above

4ndy

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 09:51:16 pm »
Seen videos on YouTube of soaking wet sponge/sound deadening in front wings of mk6 Golfs.
After all the trouble withsoaking sponges they continued to use them in the MK6 :surprised: :surprised: