Make a donation

Author Topic: Trackday tires - your reviews  (Read 4990 times)

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
Trackday tires - your reviews
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:58:13 am »
Hello guys. Thought it would be nice to share experiences we've all had with R-compounds as it will help us make better choices for the future. I will make a list with the commonly used semislicks and I would kindly ask you to share your experience. If you also have lap time comparisons, it will be even nicer.

- Michelin PS Cup
- Dunlop Direzza D03G
- Toyo R888
- Kumho V70a
- Kumho V710 (looks closer to a slick tire)
- Federal Fz-201
- Yokohama A048
- Nitto NT01
- Pirelli Pzero Corsa
- Hankook Z214
- BFG G-Force R1-S (looks closer to a slick tire)
- Hoosier A6 & R6 (looks closer to a slick tire)
- Nankang NS2R

My experience so far >

1) Kumho V70a on 225/45/17 > very quick heat up, excellent braking, better than high performance street even at 0deg C on dry, they slowly go off towards the end of a 20mins session, good lifetime
2) Toyo R888 on 235/40/18 > a little bit slower heat up than V70 but still decent, decent grip at ow temps but not as good as V70a, they didn't overheat like V70a towards the end of the session, average lifetime

Number 3 will come soon as there isn't much life left in my R888s !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Trackday tires - your reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:10:56 pm »
 :happy2:

How does the tyre going off, in your experience manifest itself? Understeer?

Ive used R888 in the dry which were outstanding (same about 20min stints)

Federal RSR595. Used these in the dry again great tyre. Spun twice on these once on turn one banked turn at rockingham (damp and I lifted  :ashamed:) once at barn corner at Cadwell (Very wet and think I probably lifted, again)

Got a set of federal RSR595 and Michelin Pilot Cup 2's atm, wont get many trackdays in till next spring, maybe 1 or 2.

@monte Has the Dirrezzas

Will add to this as my experience grows  :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 12:14:22 pm by Tfsi_Mike »

Offline Acidutzul

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • 2.0 TDI ~165HP daily&track
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 02:25:06 pm »
My car tends to go from neutral/slightly oversteer balance to understeer when the tires are overheating, as I am a front heavy FWD diesel, but for a RWD hard on the gas, it may be the other way around.

The only semislicks I have tried were the Federal FZ-201 medium (225/45/17 on 7.5 and 8 inch rims).

Grip -> They offer very good and constant levels of grip from 15C going up. They wont kill you on cold or damp tracks (like Nordschleife mornings) but I don't recommend to push them under those conditions, nor would I use them for daily driving (they are very loud also). I tailed quite a number of cars with various semislicks and I have never felt limited by tires. On the contrary, I feel that they have very good heat resistance, better than the Dirreza D03G for example, which were slightly better from cold (tested on the Hring with Rex, for 6 continuous laps).

Lifetime -> The ones I had on the rear are still 1 trackday away from pension, after around 130 laps on Hungaroring, 50 laps on Nordschleife and 80 laps on a 3.3km Romanian track (the last 30 laps on the RO track mounted on the front axle). Obviously, I'm very happy with the lifetime. They do develop some cracks on the rolling surface (perpendicular on the sidewall), but they have no effect whatsoever in any aspect.

Other -> They have a very strong sidewall and offer good steering response and rear stability. I found them to work better in the 2.3-2.5bar range and not lower. I will even try more. Considering also the price, even though they are a lot more expensive than 3 years ago,  they would still be my track choice right now.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:58:38 pm by Acidutzul »

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 03:21:26 pm »
I agree with Acidutzul.

My experience is with:
Kumho V70a on 225/45/17 hard compound
- very good money for value
- would begin to lose grip after 20 min of pushing hard
- strange wear (more to the center but only some parts). I think the exterior patches are harder compound than the interior ones so that's why there is irregular wear.

Dunlop Direzza 03G on 225/45/17 medium compound
- very good at the beginning of the session
- I didn't feel they were loosing grip like the Kumho but Acidutzul was closing in on me at the session ending (25 minutes)
- very expensive and for me they are not worth it.
- I have much less pressure than Acidutzul but still the center of the tire is worn more.

Please keep in mind than both Acidutzul's and my car are below 170bhp so someone with more power may have different experience with these tires.

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 04:23:28 pm »
Until recently I've used Federal FZ-201 which are still used by Acidutzul. :)

Recently I decided to try DMACK Trackday tyres because they were a cheaper alternative.
They have the hardest sidewall I've ever seen in a tyre. At first i drove them at night on the motorway trying to bed in my brake rotors. The temperature outside was about 21C, but there was no grip and the ABS kicked in continuously. Yesterday I've tried them on track at 27C (sunny) and after 3-4 laps where they were good on corners and decent under braking, then the grip level increased. I think they have the same grip as FZ-201 and the same tendency to overheat towards the end of the session.

But the real problem with them is this:

That's how my fronts look after only 200 Km on the motorway and 30 laps on the same 3,3Km long romanian track.

Will I buy again: definitely no!
I think they wear out twice as fast as Federal FZ-201.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:17:45 pm by teo_parvu »

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 05:51:02 pm »
Very good reviews guys. Mike, for me front tires overheated first and the car was pushing very wide on high speed corner exits. Once it was really scary since the tire lost grip quite suddenly and I went over the vibrator, close to the side fence !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 07:09:52 pm »
Nanking NS2-Rs very grippy even in the wet,worth a punt for the money

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 07:02:31 am »

WTF???
After only 30 laps?
Are they super soft compound?
It's very strange because it is worn on the inside meaning you have to much camber. Even at 2.5 degrees I still don't have enough camber. What is your geometry like?

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 07:44:36 am »
They are medium compound, and almost the same wear happened on Phara's Honda.
The strange thing is that the right side tyre is almost completely gone and you know that this track should wear more the left side tyre.
I should check again the geometry because of this, but as far as i know, i have -2.3 camber.

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 10:10:53 am »
They are medium compound, and almost the same wear happened on Phara's Honda.
The strange thing is that the right side tyre is almost completely gone and you know that this track should wear more the left side tyre.
I should check again the geometry because of this, but as far as i know, i have -2.3 camber.

I was advised on FWD to Hard front and soft/medium on the rear