Make a donation

Author Topic: Cutting out and dropping revs issue  (Read 1747 times)

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Cutting out and dropping revs issue
« on: July 09, 2015, 08:46:12 pm »
Really weird one here, basically replaced the DV to a Revision G and replaced the intercooler o-rings, 2 on the drivers and the one on the passengers.

Took it out to test and POP, it spat the back end of the pipe on the drivers side out and did some kangarooing and cut out.  I was only 100 yards from home thankfully so nursed it back.

Popped it all back together, I must not have seated it right.  But now here's the issue, it never happened once before...

Drove it of and got it on boost and wow, all horses back to 100%, no boost leak noises and pulls very hard (this is a dsg btw) then I come to the end of the road and slow down, get to the junction and the revs just dive to about 300/400 and it catches itself and brings to normal idle, so I set off and get to next junction and it dives again and cuts out.

It is pulling as it should, accelerates as it should, no leaks, boost is great but keeps dipping revs.  Any ideas what this could be and what I may have done?

Like I said this is the first time its done this, I don't have VCDS at the moment, I just hope I didn't damage the turbo or something.

It seems more the DSG to me though, like when slowing its not letting go of the clutch and getting from 2nd to 1st properly, seems to be a delay all of a sudden.  Stumped!!
2005 Gti - 5dr, DSG, Black
2003 Toyota MR2 Roadster, Chilli Red
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: Cutting out and dropping revs issue
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:51:16 pm »
Did you remove the engine cover by any chance as it sounds like an air leak?

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:11:31 pm »
Did you remove the engine cover by any chance as it sounds like an air leak?

No, didn't touch nothing in the engine bay.

What I might do is take off everything I've done and do it again and make sure it's all seated correctly etc, which I am sure it is....

Weird issue to arise.
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 10:12:15 pm »
Your logic makes sense - you didn't get the seals in the wrong place for there size for 8 and 8 A?

http://www.partscats.info/volkswagen/en/?i=cat_vag_models&brand=vw&number=1714&set=1728&ein=2007&f=474&hauptgr=1234567890&hg=1&grf=014595420&bf=14595&hgug=145&ug=45&parent_id=2340293

Nah I dont think so, although you are making me think now! lol.. I will take the hoses back out and the o-rings and re-evaluate it..

Been driving round and it seems to be getting a bit better, hasn't cut out anyway.
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:29:03 pm »
Weirdly enough it seems to have sorted itself already, maybe it has seated right or the ECU threw a wobbler when it came off..

Tested on Torque pro and the PSI, Vacuum and everything else looks spot on.

Don't know how accurate but it said I did 0-60 in 6.68.

Right back to driving normal again and hopefully issue resolved :)
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 11:48:34 pm »
Well that's better than stock! Best I've managed using that app is 6.935 and that was after a fair few goes! In fact only time I've ever got it under 7 secs

:signLOL: - I would say the gradient wasn't 100% flat.  A very very slight downward angle, so that would help.  6.8/6.9 is about spot on I reckon.

One thing about it at least I know it's boosting as it should, been a long road to get it there.  Stage 1 or 1+ next  :happy2:
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 11:56:33 pm »
Well that's better than stock! Best I've managed using that app is 6.935 and that was after a fair few goes! In fact only time I've ever got it under 7 secs

:signLOL: - I would say the gradient wasn't 100% flat.  A very very slight downward angle, so that would help.  6.8/6.9 is about spot on I reckon.

One thing about it at least I know it's boosting as it should, been a long road to get it there.  Stage 1 or 1+ next  :happy2:
Ha that might explain it. I was happy when I got 6.9 because like you say it means the engines where it should be!

I'm jealous you're thinking about stage 1

I have to fix my diesel noise first, remove a key scratch from the whole side of my car and also refurbish the terrible alloys before I think about that :(

Yeah get that noise sorted, transforms the car to such a nicer place to be, I hated that noise  :fighting:

After that will be getting the bodywork up to 100%, there's a few things I need to do.

Going for the R-Tech Stage 1, so should be awesome!
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec