Make a donation

Author Topic: Open fog grills CAI  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
Open fog grills CAI
« on: July 09, 2015, 06:56:56 pm »
Anyone fitted some piping from the n/s open fog grill to there intake for more cold air?
If so notice any gains and how did you do it? :)

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Re: Open fog grills CAI
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:28:08 pm »
I think the effect may be negligible since inducted air will be heated when it gets to the turbo. Then it'll be cooled by the intercooler before combustion. Maybe work with intercooler efficiency instead??

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:16:12 pm »
I think the effect may be negligible since inducted air will be heated when it gets to the turbo. Then it'll be cooled by the intercooler before combustion. Maybe work with intercooler efficiency instead??
Fair point  :happy2: I'll not bother then. Fitted open grills tonight they look loads better

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:46:04 pm »
When you consider that the gasses that power the turbo can be over 1000C what difference does shaving 5/10C off intake temps actually make.The TC body is going to be well over 500C which will heat the intake air to a finite point regardless.

I have open grills on mine, the last owner fitted them. I don't mind them either but I have some closed ones which may go back on some when.
Out of curiosity I wondered if anyone had fitted an oil cooler in one of the spaces. When doing track days it could be useful.

In hot climates they do actually fit supplementary radiators in there...which you probably already knew.  :happy2:

All they do for us is look OK and let crap in!  :laugh:

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 11:05:15 pm »
When you consider that the gasses that power the turbo can be over 1000C what difference does shaving 5/10C off intake temps actually make.The TC body is going to be well over 500C which will heat the intake air to a finite point regardless.

I have open grills on mine, the last owner fitted them. I don't mind them either but I have some closed ones which may go back on some when.
Out of curiosity I wondered if anyone had fitted an oil cooler in one of the spaces. When doing track days it could be useful.

In hot climates they do actually fit supplementary radiators in there...which you probably already knew.  :happy2:

All they do for us is look OK and let crap in!  :laugh:
Yeh have read about the extra radiator in hot climates.

Offline Burbs22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 12:42:24 am »
I managed to squeeze a 6 Inch cold air feed in mine with a bit of squashing in places and perseverance. Can't comment on gains but let's put it this way my itg will never struggle for air. It's not going to do any harm can only do good. My whole open fog sends air directly up the feed ill try and post a pic at some point. It is totally overkill but oh well

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:55:33 am »
I fed a cold air feed up just cause I had one in the garage and the bumper was off.

Again the thinking was it can't make it any worse  :happy2:
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 10:23:38 am »
By contrast, naturally aspirated engines love cold air feeds just as ours love high performance intercoolers.
IC's won't give more power directly but in a tuned engine they can assist in allowing for revised timing or fueling for example. They'll also help you run power consistently over extended periods or hot conditions. In a tuned engine there is also a point where only an intake can supply the volume air of required, although they're bought for other reasons these days.  :wink:

What became apparent to me as my car went from stage 1 to 2+ is the relationships and dependencies that exists between different pieces of hardware. You can get to a point where adding parts slowly can work against you and you find you have to add many parts at once in order to avoid issues - CEL light on, AFR poor etc, fuel cuts, timing being pulled back...the list goes on.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:34:26 am by flashp »