Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre loosing pressure  (Read 1159 times)

Offline mrggg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 2
Tyre loosing pressure
« on: July 11, 2015, 02:39:12 am »
Hi, I had Michelin pilot super sports fitted recently. I went back to the garage who fitted them and they said it was a problem with the alloy and used bead seal. They then asked for ten pounds saying its my fault for supplying my own tyres? Even though it was a problem with the alloy! Anyway I laughed at them and wont be going back there ever again!  :fighting:  They said beforehand they wouldn't charge me. Anyway I will check the tyre pressure again next week to see if the bead seal has solved the problem? Does this usually solve the problem or would a full alloy repair be a better option if this is in fact the problem? Theres nothing wrong with the tyres  :confused:

Alternatively, If the loss of pressure continues, would changing the tyre valve make a difference? Or balancing the wheels? Dont think they done this when they put my tyres on before!!! As I asked them this time and they said rear tyres dont need balancing?

Offline mra12345

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Tyre loosing pressure
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 11:03:36 am »
Sounds like your alloy is pitted / corroded.  Same issue on my mk5 standard 06 GTI when I first bought it.  Got all 4 wheels powdered coated (acid bath removes any corrosion) and haven't had any issues since.  cost me £250 for the full set of 4 wheels.

Offline Monza_GTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 11:21:51 am »
It could be something small like the tyre valve or maybe not enough glue between the tyre and alloy. You could try and dip the wheel in pool of water to try and spot where the air is coming from. That's what a lot of tyre places do to check for punctures.

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 12:42:11 pm »
My local tyre place balance all wheels regardless of if its front or rear etc along with fitting brand new valves everytime (top chaps)

The guys you have used sound like cowboys

If they scrimping on a 10p wheel weight what else are they scrimping on!
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline mrggg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 12:56:56 pm »
It could be something small like the tyre valve or maybe not enough glue between the tyre and alloy. You could try and dip the wheel in pool of water to try and spot where the air is coming from. That's what a lot of tyre places do to check for punctures.

Hi thanks. Yeh he did dip it in the water, but i knew it wasnt the tyre at fault .. I will try those suggestions out if the tyre keeps loosing pressure  :happy2:

Offline mrggg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 12:59:44 pm »
My local tyre place balance all wheels regardless of if its front or rear etc along with fitting brand new valves everytime (top chaps)

The guys you have used sound like cowboys

If they scrimping on a 10p wheel weight what else are they scrimping on!

Yep I agree, my mums used them in the past and she said they have tried it on before.. I just think that they didnt want to use their machine that balances tyres.   I will just steer clear from now on and find someone else  do the balancing and new valves next week   :happy2:

Offline mrggg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 01:02:30 pm »
Sounds like your alloy is pitted / corroded.  Same issue on my mk5 standard 06 GTI when I first bought it.  Got all 4 wheels powdered coated (acid bath removes any corrosion) and haven't had any issues since.  cost me £250 for the full set of 4 wheels.

Yh my alloys are diamond cut and are in bad shape at the moment, hopefully I will be refurbishing them soon.

At the moment its just the drivers rear that is loosing the pressure but I will look at this if the problem spreads to other wheels :)

Offline daddykool

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 05:52:50 pm »
I have same problem offside rear monza leaking air ,have to inflate it every two weeks!
           pressurized it to 50 psi  and put it in my swimming pool  ,no indicated air loss.
             So must loose it whilst driving.