Make a donation

Author Topic: Help with stone chip  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Saj

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Help with stone chip
« on: May 07, 2015, 06:16:42 pm »
Hi guys,

I've got a stone chip on my bonnet which has started to rust. Can anyone advise on the best thing to do now? Any cheap fixes for this or am I going to have to respray the whole bonnet?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Offline RedGolfDom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99951.0.html
Re: Help with stone chip
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 06:22:36 pm »
I'd personally go respray and getting it all looking mint again
Mk5 golf gt 140
Revo stage 1
Air lift Performance 3p

dansmith180

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 06:49:14 pm »
Pretty much have to respray the bonnet I'm afraid.

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 07:04:04 pm »
Touch it up properly and you will notice it (it won't stand out like it does now) but i wouldn't do the whole bonnet for the sake of just that spot . If you are not happy with it get one of those dent master/chips away type people to have a go at it , but only use one that is recommended by a main dealer of vw/bmw/merc quality .
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

dansmith180

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 07:14:23 pm »
Touch it up properly and you will notice it (it won't stand out like it does now) but i wouldn't do the whole bonnet for the sake of just that spot . If you are not happy with it get one of those dent master/chips away type people to have a go at it , but only use one that is recommended by a main dealer of vw/bmw/merc quality .

The problem with that is that although you won't really be able to see it anymore the rusting has started and it's only going to get worse. If you just paint over it in about a year your gunna slam your bonnet closed an a piece of the bonnet will fall off. You might be able to pick up another bonnet in the same colour at a scrappy for a decent price?

Offline Saj

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 08:47:26 pm »

The problem with that is that although you won't really be able to see it anymore the rusting has started and it's only going to get worse. If you just paint over it in about a year your gunna slam your bonnet closed an a piece of the bonnet will fall off. You might be able to pick up another bonnet in the same colour at a scrappy for a decent price?
So even if I get it sanded down and resprayed, the rust will still be there?

dansmith180

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 08:49:30 pm »
If its properly sanded and resprayed it will be fine, I was referring to the suggestion of just painting over it. Rust is a bitch and you have to remove it before painting otherwise it will just come back.

Offline Saj

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 08:51:37 pm »
Ok thanks for the advice guys. I think I will get it done properly. I'm hopefully getting my wings replaced by vdub under the anti-corrosion warranty so I'll do it after that gets done.

Thanks again!

Offline Saj

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:48:37 pm »
Warranty success! Took my car to VW garage in St Albans. They referred me to the body shop who initially took the pictures of my front arches. Couple weeks later, got a call from a woman at Lancaster VW in St Albans. Needed to come in for a couple more photos.

Apparently it didn't quality for the Anti Corrosion warranty as the perforation wasn't from the inside and was apparently forming from the outside. But the woman at VW (Glenda Gurney) helped me out and managed to get 50% paid by VW factory and 50% paid by VW customer care. So booked my car to get some brand new wings for the 1st week of Sept, free of charge. Getting a courtesy car too. Win all round!