Make a donation

Author Topic: 134k new dampers?  (Read 699 times)

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
134k new dampers?
« on: July 20, 2015, 04:11:23 pm »
Picked up some Eibach springs, I'm going to replace the rear dampers with some OE ones (£30 each), the fronts are about £35 each, should I do them and maybe top mounts?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: 134k new dampers?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 04:15:31 pm »
Would be silly not to, while it's on the ramp for the springs. They're cheap enough, and at 134k it makes sense.

Offline Ricky123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98436.0.html
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 04:23:51 pm »
Yer at 134k I'd go with new shocks all round if you no they haven't been replaced, new top mounts again if they haven't already been done, possibly drop links and then have a good look at the wishbone bushes, track rod ends and ball joints while your there.

From past experience I've noticed a few cars I've had in the past feeling and sounding fine suspension wise but once things have been un-done and then put back together then they seem to wear quicker and need replacing. (Not the best description on what I'm trying to say)

Also get a wheel alignment done after fitting  :happy2:
56 mk5 ed30 3dr
57 mk5 1.9 TDi match
22 a3 s-line competition 45 tfsiE
09 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (road going track sl*g)

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 05:02:37 pm »
Yeah that was my thoughts really, however funds are tight having just bought the car and it needs quite a few other jobs doing too!

Might just do new shocks and top mounts to begin with, then get alignment done.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 05:15:01 pm »
To be fair your mechanic should be able to see if there are any obviously split bushes while he's doing the struts; if nothing looks overly worn and you're not hearing any knocks or dodgy handling you should be fine just doing shocks, tops and springs for now.

But ideally the other bits will be worth refreshing at some point - they will get past their best at some point soon.

It's just knowing where to draw the line, as it all adds up. I'm on 71k, 3rd owner, and as far as I know all the bushes, shocks etc are original (apart from the H&R springs it had a couple of months ago). I could go about replacing things and arguably gain an improvement in ride and handling, but as it stands it drives very well and doesn't make any questionable noises. So that's my line drawn... for now!