Make a donation

Author Topic: Iron x - Confusion please clear this up  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Iron x - Confusion please clear this up
« on: July 20, 2015, 05:27:17 pm »
As it says in most of the guides this is NOT a wheel cleaner but a de-contaminator , yet this is what most people tend to be using.

It appears to be a GREAT product but also risky in the wrong hands.......so can you please shed some light on this.

1. Do you use a good wheel cleaner, something like Auto Finesse - Imperial Wheel Cleaner,  followed by iron X for the bits the wheel cleaner can't remove?

2. Do you use this as a pre-cleaner (paint) to remove the bits that the foam, and wash mitt can't remove?

Looking at some of the comments, is it not safer to use a APC or something like a Tardis or general pre cleaner?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

dansmith180

Re: Iron x - Confusion please clear this up
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 07:11:22 pm »
IronX is a fallout remover, so the only thing it will clean is ferrous metal deposits. The most common ferrous metal on a car is brake dust hence why most of the time its used on wheels for more stubborn bits. But it cab also be used on paint since there will always be some bits on there to.

On wheels it should be the last step and you basically want to just have brake dust left on there since as I said earlier it will only remove fallout and not general dirt. If you clean wheels regularly or they're protected you should hardly ever have to use it if you do at all.

For paint I would do it after snow faoming but before washing to make sure you get all the product off the paint after you're done. You only need to use IronX on your paint every 6 Months or so unless something happened and you know you have fallout on the paint.

If used properly IronX will do NO damaged to your car, just don't leave it on too long (10 mins tops) and don't let it bake in the sun. Its a safe product even though it does stink as long as you're not an idiot and leave it on for 20 mins in the sun and let it bake, even then it will probably be fine.

Offline Curley89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • Stage 2+ S3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:29:13 pm »
I use Iron X after washing to give it a better chance at breaking down the fallout.

Depending on the amount of tar you can switch the order of Iron X and a tar remover product like Tardis.

Brief overview for both paintwork and wheels:
Snowfoam (or wheel cleaner on wheels)
Wash
Iron X
High pressure rinse
Tardis
Remove Tardis with a microfibre
High pressure rinse
Clay
Wash

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:34:33 pm »
Thank you all.

Can I ask all in all is Iron X the best all round product for removing the so called fallout pre claying? is there a another product which I can use on the car to remove backed on stuff like tar/brake dust/stubborn hard to move partials?  surely don't have to buy separate product to cope with each particle ?

Spraying tardis then using a microfibre - would this not cause damage?

Do you not just leave these items to eat away then jetwash off? or do you agitate with a brush?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:57:30 pm »
Can you dilute Iron X and use in a snow foam lance? spray/cover/leave and rinse?

dansmith180

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 09:58:59 pm »
You can get a product called Carpro Trix which does both tar and iron but otherwise yes you do need separate products since they're different chemicals to react with the different particles.

Tardis and microfibre won't cause damage as long as you rinse it off thoroughly and don't leave it too long.

I normally agitate when on wheels but just leave them on the paintwork.

You can't dilute IronX as its not water based.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 10:03:52 pm »
I like the look of this also - Auto Finesse Citrus Power

Offline arris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 08:02:08 am »
I always use iron out on wheels as my brake pads give out more metal than a foundry.

I then normally wash with imperial wheel cleaner.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 03:31:19 pm »
Can you dilute Iron X and use in a snow foam lance? spray/cover/leave and rinse?

There's something called Iron X snow soap which can be used. Never used it though. Seems a bit pointless lol.