Make a donation

Author Topic: How low does this look? Coilovers or springs/shocks?  (Read 1637 times)

Offline A3_Atif

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
How low does this look? Coilovers or springs/shocks?
« on: July 22, 2015, 01:41:59 am »
Hi guys - need to replace my springs as one is snapped. I really want to keep the car stance as it is, especially the rear drop and resulting camber. I know the car currently is on H&R's from visually checking the spring but have no clue which ones. Attached pictures, can anybody tell what the drop is and what springs to replace with?

Also do I go for Bilsteins B14's for £575 or springs/shocks combo? Can get Bilstein B4's with Eibach Sportlines for £250 new. Any recommendations? I'd only go with the sportlines if the drop remains the same.

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
Re: How low does this look? Coilovers or springs/shocks?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 10:17:49 am »
Don't know about the drop mate, but the car looks great :happy2:

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 10:24:52 am »
Looks pretty good for springs. You got a side on pic? Ever just thought of coilovers?
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline A3_Atif

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 02:16:37 pm »
Cheers both, I've got plenty pics on my phone if I ever get round to transferring em to PC lol, those 2 pics were from the original ad.

Atm I'm thinking of coils, the b14s but trying to gauge if the extra £300 over Bilstein B4's and springs would be worth it. I quite like how it handles on the H&R, very little roll through bends and only feel understeer when it's being pushed. The A3 by comparison was horrendous lol.

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:39:41 pm »
One way to look at it is.. Do you want to be able to adjust the height in future either up or down? maybe you need to raise the car to get on ramps at some point? maybe you want to go lower for a show etc? if so coilers would be great as you can raise and lower your height as and when you need to.. Plus with the B14's i think I'm right in thinking a lot of people already have this setup and are a pretty solid coilover setup compared to a lot of others in the same price range give or take £100 or so..

As for the shock and spring setup, its fixed height so you'd have to see that setup on another car and then decide if its exactly what you want which means, either searching google which can be unreliable or waiting for someone on here to post a picture or a link to some pictures of their car who has the exact same setup as your looking at and then deciding if thats what you want and will it be what you want 1 month or 1 year down the line?..