Make a donation

Author Topic: Replacing ABS Sensor on rear  (Read 5078 times)

Offline SiofChester

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 6
Replacing ABS Sensor on rear
« on: July 22, 2015, 10:49:42 am »
Anyone got a rough guide to it? Guess it's wheel off, disc and caliper off and it's visible. Anyone got a pic of one installed?

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: Replacing ABS Sensor on rear
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 06:02:52 pm »
I don't think you'll even need to remove the discs or calipers, should just be held onto the upright with a bolt and bracket. Undo, remove, clean with a brush and replace with a new sensor. Just my guess.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:35:55 pm »
Yep, my understanding too.  One tip though, having changed plenty of these on other vehicles, if the new sensor is too tight a fit in the mounting hole, get some wet and dry and/or a round file in the hole to clean it up of any corrosion.  It should then just slot in.

Hope this helps.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:41:32 pm »
+1 to the above. Another tip is the night before spray everything in WD40. I did this on my Golf V5's suspension set up as when I was in getting my mk5 GTI suspension done I remember being told the nuts (due to constant exposure to the elements and heat cycling) tend to seal themselves on tight, AKS had to cut my ball joints off the mk5 GTI but I got the mk4 V5 ones off after soaking them for a night!

Just clean everything while you're there, including the back of the hub where the ABS holes are. Also, use a small amount of grease (I mean small), just to prevent it from sealing up ever again. :happy2:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline percy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 07:48:38 am »
I've just changed one the other day due to there being a fault, I was surprised how corroded it was and ended up snapping off. So had to strip it down and the fault was the sensor ring as it had just corroded so had to put a new bearing on as well . Apparently a lot of places always do the bearing,sensor ring, when doing the rear abs fault as it's more likely to be that, which they can tell normally on a fault scan if they have the right equipment .