Make a donation

Author Topic: Paint bubbling over wheelarch  (Read 2456 times)

Offline ghuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 1
Paint bubbling over wheelarch
« on: July 23, 2015, 10:36:24 pm »
Hi all

Would like some advice, I picked up my Golf GTI a few weeks ago but have just noticed that the paint is bubbling over the driver's side wheel arch. Must admit this is something I have never experienced before on any of the cars that I have owned (Jag X Type, Honda Civic, VW Bora, Peugeot 206 GTI).

To be completely honest I cant believe that I didn't spot it when I purchased the car, in fact to say that I'm annoyed with myself right now is an understatement. However as I understand, Volkswagen offers a 12 year warranty on a cars paintwork. Therefore as my car is a 2005 I should still be covered for this?

My car has a full service history with a stack load of invoices, heck in fact a lot of them from VW dealers. One particular being way over £1,000 for a service and 2 replacement headlights  :laugh:

Let me know what you think,

Cheers
George   
2005 Golf GTI Mk5

Offline Gmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Paint bubbling over wheelarch
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 10:50:34 pm »
Loads of threads on this try a search.
It's a very common problem mine is the same and like wise was very surprised by this issue!

Offline afzalmj

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:17:05 am »
Mine is at VW on Thursday,I'll be asking them about this  :wink:

Offline Trow81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 02:04:40 pm »
This is a major fault but is covered under a 10 or 12 year warranty where VW will replace the wings FOC speak to ur local VW for more info but dnt pay towards it should be under corrosion warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:41:41 pm »
Will VW still pay out if wings have been painted before?
Mine have, but I still think they should be liable 100%.
After all 12 year anti corrosion is their warranty.

Offline Stevepd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 04:40:20 pm »
mine too so rang my local VW (Heritage Westbury), going round on Wednesday as "the" warranty chap is off. Hoping to get something as mine has just turned 10 in June and only has part main/mostly indie service history.......
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:41:08 pm by Stevepd »
Standard 5 Door Shadow blue.

Offline ghuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:19:37 am »
Hi everyone

Thanks for all your replies, contacted Lancaster Volkswagen Milton Keynes on Friday who put me in touch with an official body shop repair company around the corner.

Took my car there Saturday morning and they proceeded to take photos and measure the paint depth over the wheelarches using a James Bond style gadget!  :grin: According to the readings, my car has never been resprayed, so now its a case now of them putting a case together to VW and waiting to find out when/if they can replace the parts under the 12 year warranty.

Should be a few weeks until I find out, anyway fingers crossed.....

Best regards
George
2005 Golf GTI Mk5

Offline ghuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 07:17:33 pm »
Quick update!

My car is finally going in to the repair shop in Milton Keynes tomorrow. After many months of waiting and several calls to the repair shop later VW have finally agreed to replace the front wings under warranty.

I should have her back before Christmas as well. Will post some pics on her return while she is still clean  :grin:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 09:20:04 pm by ghuk »
2005 Golf GTI Mk5

Offline An0NyMOUs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • A Nuisance
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 08:03:50 pm »
Lucky guy! I went to the body shop Lancaster Milton Keynes recommended, sadly my car had a full respray at some point in its life and the paint depth was way off, now paying for the wings to be done out of my own pocket.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2.0 FSI 4motion

Offline ghuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 09:08:53 pm »
Lucky guy! I went to the body shop Lancaster Milton Keynes recommended, sadly my car had a full respray at some point in its life and the paint depth was way off, now paying for the wings to be done out of my own pocket.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hey mate

To be completely honest until I got the phone call from the repair shop last week I was resigned to the fact that I was expecting a bill.

I'm really not very lucky when it comes to cars, in fact most of the ones I've owned in the past have cost me stack loads, so this was a pleasant surprise  :happy2: 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 09:19:03 pm by ghuk »
2005 Golf GTI Mk5