Make a donation

Author Topic: Getting around London and Manchester...  (Read 3210 times)

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
Getting around London and Manchester...
« on: July 26, 2015, 03:52:39 pm »
I've got to do a bit of a road trip around England with the family over the next few weeks.

The two places I'm less sure about getting around due to sheer size are London and Manchester.

London I've been to plenty of times and always used the tube which is easy enough, but as I've not been for a few years the ticketing system seems to have changed a bit from what I can see.
Basically it's going to be my wife, myself and two kids who are both over 16 now so we're all going to have to pay. What's the crack with using 'touch to pay' type debit cards using the tube? I'm guessing it would only be possible to use one debit card per person which is easy enough for us two parents but my kids are still at college and don't have those types of card. Would getting an Oyster card for them work out cheapest or even getting a day travel ticket? We will only be on London a couple days as it's just going to be too busy at this time of year to bother with much touristy stuff, hence I didn't really want the hassle of getting an Oyster card.

And Manchester? I've never been to the centre of Manchester before - what's the easiest/cheapest way to transport four adults around? Again, it's only going for be for two or three days max before we've got to head out again which is a bit of a shame as I'd like to make the most of the time there having never been.

Both places I just want to park up and leave my car in the hotel for the duration relying on public transport. In fact I may even get a train or coach so I don't have to worry about driving and parking at all.

TIA

:smiley:
Andy
7R

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 17
Re: Getting around London and Manchester...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 05:31:21 pm »
In London you can still get daily travel pass from the train station
Golf 2006 tdi 140pd, dsg paddles,blue interior led lights,r32 rear bumper, cruise control,vcds,highline , r32 mfsw steering wheel, gti front bumper,miltek decat.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=d7h28nfh48a4d0rile7gca3eq5&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:35:38 pm »
As above... you can get daily travel cards which are about 12 quid (gone up, bloody rip off), and that means you can use it all day. TBH depending on where you plan to go I would suggest walking, as you'll see more of the city.

Manchester.... walk. No point in getting busses or trams in the city centre, its very compact and you can walk the whole width of it in 20-25mins

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 17
Golf 2006 tdi 140pd, dsg paddles,blue interior led lights,r32 rear bumper, cruise control,vcds,highline , r32 mfsw steering wheel, gti front bumper,miltek decat.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 07:15:00 pm »
https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/visitor-oyster-card#on-this-page-1

+1^ For London that's the way but it's a must to follow this instruction for every card :-

"If you don't touch in and out on a yellow card reader,  you might be charged a maximum fare, charged a penalty fare or prosecuted. Find out more about touching in and out".

Failure to do so is expensive as it charges the dearest journey charge for that day.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 07:21:56 pm »
If you do drive the parking is cheaper with someone like these normally compared to the hotel.

https://www.justpark.com

I tend to look for church spots as they tend to be safer and much cheaper!

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 04:30:26 pm »
Thanks for all the advice and help  :happy2:
I'd looked at the Oyster visitor passes so now on recommendation ^^^ I have just ordered some.

Thanks to doylebros for the parking link, good shout and one I'll keep for future use but I think I'll take a coach or train ticket, it'll be nice to have a rest from being family taxi driver!

Wifey says she wants to do Coronation Street tour in Manchester so I'll head over to the Etihad for a stadium tour with my son, City were still at Maine Road last time I visited! Is that all walking distance of the centre?
Andy
7R

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 04:34:13 pm »
I go to London regularly for work.
Oyster cards are stupid and for people who dont understand money lol. never had an issue with a ticket.. very easy to use...

Still hate the f**king place.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=d7h28nfh48a4d0rile7gca3eq5&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 04:35:27 pm »
Until you get stuck at a station and need a ticket and the queue is 400 deep. Oyster card or contactless FTW

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 04:39:40 pm »
its rip off city.

but yeah get a oyster card depending on how long your going to be down here for.

or just get a travel card, you can use them on buses and tube

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 04:52:49 pm »
Until you get stuck at a station and need a ticket and the queue is 400 deep. Oyster card or contactless FTW

NEVER happened to me and i'm there probably once a week on avg. just get a travel card from any station.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 04:58:51 pm »
Ok if you are coming from out of town... but not great idea in the centre.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 07:07:49 pm »
I'm only going to be in London two or three days and trying to avoid most of the tourist traps.
The contactless card payments looked my favoured option but it's only any use if all the members in your party have them - as there are four of us and two won't have contactless cards then Oyster Visitor passes it is.
Andy
7R

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 04:28:26 pm »
Oyster is always the best way of travelling around London. You have to pay a deposit for the Oyster but it is repaid in full when you return the card to a ticket office at the end of your stay and all the money on the card is refunded to you.

If you're travelling by train between London and Manchester use Virgin trains and get a railcard. If your kids are young enough you may be able to get a family railcard, otherwise use two of the Two Together railcards.

Virgin trains allow you to travel on an off peak ticket any time of the day with a railcard so it may work out cheaper to get the railcards even though you're only making the one journey.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+