Make a donation

Author Topic: mk6 aircon controls  (Read 8680 times)

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
mk6 aircon controls
« on: August 01, 2015, 05:16:43 pm »
Alrightythere peeps
I have searched but not found info if I can change my aircon controls from Mk5

To Mk6 (without the heated seats)

Any help would be appreciated

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: mk6 aircon controls
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 11:11:11 am »
You can't. Yours are mechanical and the mk6's are electronic.  :wink:

You'd need to change all the AC components, for which work is better to upgrade to automatic AC.

Offline downtime

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 10:56:08 am »

You'd need to change all the AC components, for which work is better to upgrade to automatic AC.

Not necessarily true. I've changed my MY07 Golf Plus climatronic to mk6 climatronic unit. Only thing I needed to do is to cut one pin and move it to another location. Of course Air quality sensor installation was needed as well but that I could do later, it did not affect the way climatronic works.

Here's a good thread about this :
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4938269-OEM-MKVI-Climatronic-on-a-MKV-on-a-RNS-510-Screen-installed

They discuss about climatronic but at later pages also Climatics are discussed and from what I recall, they state that it's basically plug'play for it.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 12:25:28 pm »

Not necessarily true. I've changed my MY07 Golf Plus climatronic to mk6 climatronic unit. Only thing I needed to do is to cut one pin and move it to another location. Of course Air quality sensor installation was needed as well but that I could do later, it did not affect the way climatronic works.

Here's a good thread about this :
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4938269-OEM-MKVI-Climatronic-on-a-MKV-on-a-RNS-510-Screen-installed

They discuss about climatronic but at later pages also Climatics are discussed and from what I recall, they state that it's basically plug'play for it.
If you look better you can see that the question asked was about a climatic panel (manual AC), not a climatronic panel (auto AC). :wink:

They're different as I said. So what you said is only valid for climatronic panels. I have the mk6 version in both my Golfs.

Offline downtime

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 06:58:23 am »
If you look better you can see that the question asked was about a climatic panel (manual AC), not a climatronic panel (auto AC). :wink:

They're different as I said. So what you said is only valid for climatronic panels. I have the mk6 version in both my Golfs.

Yes, I noticed that :) I just don't get what are the differences?

Out of curiosity I looked at ELSA yesterday and made a quick comparison between MK5 climatic and MK6 climatic electrical connections, and I could not see any big differences. Only thing that might give issues as far as I know for sure, is the air recycling selection. Older MK5s have two flaps for the fresh air/interior air recycler selection and newer MK5s and all MK6s have only one.
But again, I did not do any deeper comparison, just looked that same bits and pieces are on both and both seem to have roughly the same connections.

Of course changing from Climatic to Climatronic is a big task as you need to do a lot of rewiring but you also need to install new flap motors, new air ducts and new vents.

EDIT :

Ahahaa, I looked at MY2007 onwards on MK5 and that looks pretty much the same. Older models are not, they have the mechanical shaft on air control flap. Newer ones seem to have electronic flap motor.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:08:51 am by downtime »

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 09:53:06 am »
Yep...bought all the bits yo do this on my mk5.
The manual flap adjuster is the obvious difference but also I wasn't able to code aircon either.
Don't waste you time and money.
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline LondonGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 06:39:47 pm »
So does this mean a 2008 Mk5 can have this done?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 06:43:15 pm »
So does this mean a 2008 Mk5 can have this done?
If you have a climatronic panel it's quite easy to do.

Offline LondonGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:50:08 pm »
Not sure I misread downtime's post right about climatic. I have the manual controls but would prefer the 'manual' controls of the mk6.

For a minute I thought he'd cracked it with the part numbers... I guess not

Offline downtime

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 05:46:13 am »
Not sure I misread downtime's post right about climatic. I have the manual controls but would prefer the 'manual' controls of the mk6.

For a minute I thought he'd cracked it with the part numbers... I guess not

Nope sorry. I was just looking at the electrical diagrams for mk5 climatic vs mk6 climatic. But as Marko wrote a couple of posts earlier it's not easy to do due to mechanical flap control.

Offline kmo17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 12:52:33 pm »
hey guys ,here you have all the bits and pieces you need to convert from manual ac to semi automatic aircon control , https://www.drive.net/l/4834033/ . hope this will help you. cheers !!

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 01:14:40 pm »
Have all the bits now...will tackle this over Christmas break
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 09:23:04 pm »
I've got Mk5 auto climatronic with heated seats and have the Mk6 climatronic panel and have the dash trim ready to pick up from TPS. The guides so far haven't been great.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 03:09:53 pm »
I did it last week. My car is 07, and all I needed to do was swap pins 16 and 20.

I didn't actually remove the pins as they are different sizes, just got the wires cut and swapped them over.

Offline downtime

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 12:02:11 pm »
I did it last week. My car is 07, and all I needed to do was swap pins 16 and 20.

I didn't actually remove the pins as they are different sizes, just got the wires cut and swapped them over.

Climatronic is easy. Only thing you need to check if you have one or two flap motors for air recirculation. If two it will be more difficult. Later MK5 models have only one motor like MK6's have.