Make a donation

Author Topic: Extra Load Tyres  (Read 5905 times)

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Extra Load Tyres
« on: December 16, 2009, 10:59:17 pm »
Hi all,  I replaced the tyres on the front of my car today and have noticed a "problem".  I wanted to keep the same front and rear so bought a pair of Pilot Exaltos.  I noticed when the tyres were being fitted that the load rating was 88Y whereas the originals were 92Y. Now, I'm thinking that I should have stopped them then and mentioned this, but the supplier is a friend so I let them carry on.  Are 88Y sufficient loading for the car or should I have insisted on 92Y ?
I've read guides which say you should fit whatever tyre the manufacturer has.  When I called to order the tyres I made a point of saying they had to be extra load. Only now I have driven away with them on.  I don't know whether he ordered extra load tyres from his supplier and they sent out the wrong ones or he didn't specify XL to them .

So, do I leave the 88Y on or ask to get them changed ?

Chris.
2010 Golf R DSG. Reflex. 3dr.

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Extra Load Tyres
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:10:17 pm »
Hi all,  I replaced the tyres on the front of my car today and have noticed a "problem".  I wanted to keep the same front and rear so bought a pair of Pilot Exaltos.  I noticed when the tyres were being fitted that the load rating was 88Y whereas the originals were 92Y. Now, I'm thinking that I should have stopped them then and mentioned this, but the supplier is a friend so I let them carry on.  Are 88Y sufficient loading for the car or should I have insisted on 92Y ?
I've read guides which say you should fit whatever tyre the manufacturer has.  When I called to order the tyres I made a point of saying they had to be extra load. Only now I have driven away with them on.  I don't know whether he ordered extra load tyres from his supplier and they sent out the wrong ones or he didn't specify XL to them .

So, do I leave the 88Y on or ask to get them changed ?

Chris.

They should say XL on the side wall mate. 88 is the load index of the tyre (load carrying capacity) the higher the number the more it can carry. 92 will carry more than 88

EDIT: Have a look in your handbook pal that should give you the correct sizes. I wouldnt want to go lower than what VW say.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:17:17 pm by G4V VW »

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 11:14:57 pm »
Yeah, understand that. The car is fitted with XL 92 from VW.   I know the 88 are lower but is it unsafe to use them on the car ?

Chris.

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:18:10 pm »
Yeah, understand that. The car is fitted with XL 92 from VW.   I know the 88 are lower but is it unsafe to use them on the car ?

Chris.

Just added to my last post whilst you put that sorry mate. see above  :happy2:

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:20:34 pm »
I suppose its hard to say. You would have to go to the extreme of weighing everything and everyone to see if you might go over the 88 load. Prob best to get them changed..i would  :happy2:.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Gav

Offline gobbleplease

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:32:43 pm »
I just bought some F1s today they are 92W, i certainly wouldnt go lower on the load ratings but as long as they are 92s i wouldnt bother about the XL part, but 88s are a bit on the low side.

Speed rating wise i think the Ws are rated up too 170 odd MPH so i should be fine.
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 12:27:56 am »
think  i would ask them to change them to 92 rating-it could affect your insurance if you have to claim

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 07:46:17 am »
in reality theres probably little wrong with keeping them (assuming you dont go crazy)
BUT
its a potential safety issue
its a potential insurance issue
and its below the specified minimum for the car (you need to confirm this)

if its at all possible I would push to get them changed (after confirming they are below min reqd rating)
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 10:45:23 am »
Ok,  I spoke with VW technical this morning and they say that 92 is the load rating and 88 is not to spec.  Spoke to the fitter and said they were not the correct rating for the car and he said he'd speak to his supplier. They came back to him and said they think the rating was acceptable for the car.  He also spoke to a local insurance accident repair centre and the engineer there said he could see no issues with the 88 load rating and that insurance engineers rarely looked at that anyway.
Of course, the official line would be that they should be 92.  He has said he will swap them for me but , as he's a friend, I feel a bit awkward.  He said that his supplier wouldn't take these back as they think they are suitable for the car so it means that he is out of pocket to the tune of £280 until he can get something back for the 88s.
Not sure whether to say I will pay for the 92s and then re-sell the 88s on.

Chris.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 02:19:48 pm »
I know it sounds really anal, but if you decide to keep the tyres try to get something in writing from the distributor otherwise, if anything happens it's your word against theirs.

If your friend will replace them the I'd do so. I'm sure he'll be able to sell the old ones as part-worns.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 03:48:41 pm »
Ok,  I spoke with VW technical this morning and they say that 92 is the load rating and 88 is not to spec.  Spoke to the fitter and said they were not the correct rating for the car and he said he'd speak to his supplier. They came back to him and said they think the rating was acceptable for the car.  He also spoke to a local insurance accident repair centre and the engineer there said he could see no issues with the 88 load rating and that insurance engineers rarely looked at that anyway.
Of course, the official line would be that they should be 92.  He has said he will swap them for me but , as he's a friend, I feel a bit awkward.  He said that his supplier wouldn't take these back as they think they are suitable for the car so it means that he is out of pocket to the tune of £280 until he can get something back for the 88s.
Not sure whether to say I will pay for the 92s and then re-sell the 88s on.

Chris.

Its a tough one mate, always is when mates are involved. Like John o said prob will never be a problem but heaven forbid if you do have an accident and you get the one insurance engineer who checks and notices you wont have a leg to stand on, the insurance will be invalid.

Me id prob risk it with it being a mate, but then im only doing about 5k a year, i have a works van and do about 1k a month in that!!
I suppose you know the options now its just up to you. Atleast for sure you know its not to VW spec also.

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 10:32:50 pm »
Ok I've just done a bit of research...

If you had 4x 88Y tyres fitted, the maximum load the tyres are rated to is 2240kg.  The heaviest MK5 weighs in at 1617kg, so you'll be fine.

My mum caused over £5k of damage to her £8k car, it has non standard wheels fitted to it with wider tyres than standard, the assessors didn't notice and even put tyres on it.
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 11:29:16 pm »
I think VW probably fit 92 rated tyres as a saftey margin and maybe a little less rolling resistance due to the stiffer side wall.   I've decided to leave it as it is for now. If, in the future, I think the walls look like they are not coping well then I'll replace them.  On a relevant but side issue, what pressure do you all run ?
Thanks for the comments too.  Appreciated.

Chris.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 09:16:45 am »