Make a donation

Author Topic: Ed30 / BYD engine: Is it possible to remove valve springs in situ?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline afzalmj

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
I'm quite certain that I'm getting valve float on my recently remapped (R-tech, thanks Nick  :happy2:) ED30. It's a well documented issue for some of the later ED30s and Pirellis and I've done enough investigatory work to come to this conclusion.

My question is: on the BYD (FSI turbo) is it possible to remove the valve springs without removing the head? If so, what tool is required? I've seen some valve spring compressors on eBay / amazon that are designed to remove them without taking the head off - do these work on the TFSI/FSI engines? I can't seem to find a definitive answer, and I've searched long and hard!

Offline Ma22789

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Ed30 / BYD engine: Is it possible to remove valve springs in situ?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 10:25:27 am »
Iv seen a tool that dose it on the Hondas but never for a vag but good luck there could be  :happy2:
  gti ed30 2007 stage 2+ ths loba bcs itg

Offline AIR_CHILLED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 12:55:36 pm »
I had a tool for replacing oil stem seals on a 205 gti without having to remove the head.
It uses a pneumatic fitting which goes into the spark plug port and connects to an airline, thus the pressure holds the valve up in the bore, well documented in the 205 gti world so worth a thought.
The valve compressor tool used was compact and not the bench type or traditional sort.
Food for thought.

Mike.

Offline olethalb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 31
  • My Ride: A4 DTM - TOURAN
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 01:43:31 pm »
yes i made a tool or this very reason, bit crude but worked a treat
Touran TFSI Quattro | stage 2+ BHZ | UK's first