Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk6 R manual /dsg  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Namsgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
Mk6 R manual /dsg
« on: June 12, 2016, 04:16:05 pm »
Hi guys,

Test drove a manual and a dsg model golf R

After all the good reviews for the dsg box, I must admit I'm not to sure about it!
To be honest the manual felt better to drive being able to leave in gear longer and go through the gears.
Now I'm not sure which one to get.

What you reckon guys is it just that I needed more time to get used to the auto?

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
Re: Mk6 R manual /dsg
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 04:20:34 pm »
You can leave dsg in gear as long as you want. Just put in D then left to manual mode. I prefer this to sport as sport changes down when you don't want it to.

Manual box means you will go through clutches if going for more power but dsg can handle around 400/450bhp 400torques.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline Namsgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 04:51:02 pm »
You can leave dsg in gear as long as you want. Just put in D then left to manual mode. I prefer this to sport as sport changes down when you don't want it to.

Manual box means you will go through clutches if going for more power but dsg can handle around 400/450bhp 400torques.

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to re book a test drive again

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 04:53:04 pm »

Yeah only you can decide what you like best lol. I like the laziness of the dsg and when you want some fun you can go into manual mode. Also you get some dsg fartz which sound cool.

Offline Namsgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 04:59:40 pm »

Yeah only you can decide what you like best lol. I like the laziness of the dsg and when you want some fun you can go into manual mode. Also you get some dsg fartz which sound cool.

I just want to make sure I get the right one, as I intend to keep it for a few years.
Keep changing my mind every few minutes lol.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 05:19:00 pm »
I had 5 manuals before my first dsg. Now I'm on my 2nd so can't be a bad thing. Couldn't see myself going back to a manual pudding stirrer  :P

Offline sanj

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 08:10:37 pm »
Mine were all manual including my Edition 30 but I went MK6 R DSG and like it's been said put it into manual mode and like me at Stage 2+ it's a beast!

Offline Namsgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 08:22:32 pm »
Mine were all manual including my Edition 30 but I went MK6 R DSG and like it's been said put it into manual mode and like me at Stage 2+ it's a beast!

My plans are to go stage 2+ so as the guys have said don't need to worry about the clutch

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 08:30:25 pm »
Also the DSG gearbox changes are so quick a manual wouldn't be able to keep up. If you were comparing the same car, manual vs dsg.