Make a donation

Author Topic: Machine polishing  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Neil R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
Machine polishing
« on: August 06, 2015, 10:17:22 pm »
How hard is it to machine polish? I was wanting to give this a go but not sure what I would all need to do this? Can anyone give me some pointers in the right direction!! Is there courses anywhere in Scotland or the North East of England where you can be shown how to machine polish the correct way?

dansmith180

Re: Machine polishing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:37:44 pm »
Are you looking to use a DA machine or a rotary machine?

If you're looking at DA's then you can learn off YouTube and some practice on your own car, unless you're a maniac then you won't damage anything.

If you want to learn to use a rotary then you would need to spend  a day with a professional and have a spare panel or two to get some practice in.

I don't know of anyone in your area but I'm sure there will be someone not too far away, detailing is becoming very popular so shouldn't be difficult to find someone.

Offline Stooey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:38:27 pm »
Hi mate, if ur after a guide look no further than junkman2000 on youtube, his videos are great and have LOADS of details, if ur local to Dumfries I could also show you how to do I and you could have a go with my polisher etc and see if you want to invest in your own setup

Offline Stooey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 10:39:20 pm »
Mine is a DA btw

Offline Neil R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 11:02:28 pm »
I'm from just outside Edinburgh stooey. I think from what I have read on this I would probably be best going for the D/A as this will only be for my own personal use!! Can anyone give me advice on what machine? Pads? And other products I would need to get me up and running?

dansmith180

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 11:11:57 pm »
Kestrel DAS6 Pro for the machine, you'll struggle to get much out of VAG paint with a weaker machine.

Meguires microfibre pads and either 105/ 205 or the microfibre compounds are very good on the DA's.

Offline AMV

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 04:43:08 pm »
Go slow and steady and you should be fine using a DA.

Offline andyp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 02:08:10 pm »
@Neil R  chemical guys UK  do a machine polishing course if I remember, they are Glasgow based I think?

Offline Neil R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 03:42:55 pm »
Yea they do a course in cambuslang it's only £75. Cheers Andy p

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 09:37:36 pm »
DAS6 - Can you get the really small pad(s) for small detail work on bumpers and trim parts?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights