Make a donation

Author Topic: Few pointers please  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Few pointers please
« on: August 12, 2015, 09:20:02 pm »
Would someone be so kind as to just clear some things up for me.....

- Glaze - This is simply a compound designed to fill in mild  swirls? to be used instead of a cutting agent and use before waxing?

- What is a pre-wax or pre seal? reading up it says a product the help the bonding of the wax. Really Needed?
for example:
http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/tough-prep-250ml
http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/power-seal-500ml

- Wax/sealant - is there any real difference between a wax and a sealant?

- You don't wax external plastics - what do you use to add a protective coat?

- Can you get and do you use a small 2" pad of something for fine work, spoilers, door handles? inside bumpers etc?

- Once the car is fullly detailed what do you tend to use to maintain? simply a snow foam, wash and a quick detail spray of some kind?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:55:54 pm by Johnny_tro »
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
Re: Few pointers please
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 08:50:39 pm »
I'm not pro but...

Yes a glaze is to fill swirls before waxing instead of correcting the paint using a rotary/DA.

Pre wax cleaner is just a light polish to clean the paint work before waxing/sealing to get the best bond.

Some people prefer wax's some like sealants better. A lot of people use wax on warm coloured cars for a deeper/wetter look and sealants on light coloured cars as a sealant is more reflective. Personally I can't ever see what they mean  :rolleye: but I haven't really experimented yet to see.

Plastics can be coated in such products like gtechniq c4 etc

Once car is protected just snow foam if it's dirty if not I just rinse, wash using two bucket method and a mitt. Gtechniq microfiber mitt is great. Then rinse, dry and if you want use a QD depending on what you want. Then if like me dress the tyres, grills etc 

Offline itchy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Few pointers please
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 07:56:39 pm »
Wax/sealant - Wax usually contains carnuba wax (not all do mind) where as a sealant is more of a chemical bond.  You can use both.  Use the sealer first, then the wax.

Exterior trim - As said GTechniq C4 is amazing.  Check out a few videos on youtube.  Aerospace protectant is also very good.  Doesn't last as long but cheaper.  Also very good for engine dressing.

Small pad - yeah, small pads are available. Just becareful on any raised areas as the paint tends to be thinner. For example on swage lines or where the door handles are recessed. Go easy.

Upkeep - You're right. Snow foam, wash, rinse and quick detail.  You can also add a layer of wax every so often.  Every so often really depends on which wax you have applied.  I have Race Glaze 55 whichI'd do every 4 weeks, where as my winter waxes like Collinite or fK would only require it every 8 weeks or so.

I hope that helps!

Nick.