Make a donation

Author Topic: Any suggestion on over night camera in car.  (Read 2485 times)

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
Any suggestion on over night camera in car.
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:41:07 am »
Got some jealous neighbours is my guess. Someone has left me some egg all over my car. Half of them can't park and its quite a compition to get a space at times. And a few cars have been scratched and now mine egged. I would love to find out who it was.

So looking to get a camera set up in my car overnight or can it even be done?

Not really thought about a budget but i would prefer it was done right so am open for anything.

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:45:00 am by howie1987 »

Offline RC84

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Any suggestion on over night camera in car.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 01:44:53 pm »
I've been looking into "dash cams" etc recently as I was thinking of getting one for mine. Halfords do the Nextbase range of cams and the "402g" (their top model) gets fantastic reviews online regarding set up and playback etc :happy2:

As far as I know they can be "hard wired" to the car so they can be left on either during the day in the works carpark(my case) or overnight(your case).

I'm not 100% clued up on it all tbh, however I'm sure a decent quality dash cam is what your after. It might have to be specially wired if you want it to keep running overnight etc though.

Offline hlcst

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:05:46 pm »
I've got the nextbase 402g and its fantastic it has good night vision and has loads of features that are ideal for your situation such as motion detection. When you plug it into your computer it tells you the time and date of the recording including the location on a little map, if your travelling it shows you the route and speeds and as a bonus I got a refund from my insurer for having it installed :happy2:

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 03:06:51 pm »
I've been looking into "dash cams" etc recently as I was thinking of getting one for mine. Halfords do the Nextbase range of cams and the "402g" (their top model) gets fantastic reviews online regarding set up and playback etc :happy2:

As far as I know they can be "hard wired" to the car so they can be left on either during the day in the works carpark(my case) or overnight(your case).

I'm not 100% clued up on it all tbh, however I'm sure a decent quality dash cam is what your after. It might have to be specially wired if you want it to keep running overnight etc though.
Yeah i have been thinking of getting a dash cam for ages. Just need to add overnight recording now.

Cheers will maybe pop in to halfords have a wee look. Their advice will probably be crap though lol.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=inlg07bggm979g5pukcrv88rvt&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 03:08:46 pm »
Is your parking space near your house? If so you could get a nightvision CCTV camera for your house

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 03:23:14 pm »
Is your parking space near your house? If so you could get a nightvision CCTV camera for your house
I'm 2nd house in from the street that runs up the side so you can't really see the full street. That would of been my first choice if i could though.

Its quite a busy street aswell. Times when i wish i had a garage.

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=inlg07bggm979g5pukcrv88rvt&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 03:28:28 pm »
I have front and rear dash cams set to record on movement (i've added a low voltage cutoff to extend the recording time of the battery in the cameras). If someone keys the side you will probably not catch them. They don't have buffering so someone walking past the windscreen will get half way across before the system records.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline RC84

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 03:42:08 pm »
I've got the nextbase 402g and its fantastic it has good night vision and has loads of features that are ideal for your situation such as motion detection. When you plug it into your computer it tells you the time and date of the recording including the location on a little map, if your travelling it shows you the route and speeds and as a bonus I got a refund from my insurer for having it installed :happy2:

Nice one. It really does sound like a great bit of kit. Do you have any videos you can upload from it from during the day and night? Easy enough to set up? Is yours hard wired?

Offline GTi-Andy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 03:46:28 pm »

Nice one. It really does sound like a great bit of kit. Do you have any videos you can upload from it from during the day and night? Easy enough to set up? Is yours hard wired?

Halfrauds will install it in your car for £30, if you trust them to do it?  :scared: :scared: :scared:

So much for keeping it standard!

Offline hlcst

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 04:14:55 pm »

Check out this video

Yeah its really easy to set up, I did try reading the manual that you get online but got very bored so just played around with it and I'm not going lie I had a lot of fun with it walking around the house seeing what speeds I was travelling :signLOL:

Its straight forward installing it into the car too, when I found out that I had permanently live cigar lighter sockets I piggybacked a switched live and installed another cigar lighter in the fuse box, mainly because I didn't want to cut of the plug and void any warranty but also I wanted all the wires hidden 

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 09:21:43 pm »
Not really had time to check out the cameras.

I've gave the car a full valet and polished it. Still egg on the passenger side window when it is put down.

The car didn't stay at mine lastnight. So tonight its in the exact same spot again so see what happens tonight. Have an idea of who it is so if it happens again i'll be going to his door. Happens again though am going to get a camera set up asap.

Going to give some a good look tonight on youtube etc.

Cheers for all the suggestions.