Make a donation

Author Topic: New purchase  (Read 1227 times)

Offline carmaduk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
New purchase
« on: September 07, 2015, 11:03:51 am »
Hi all,

I'm new to the group as have just got myself a mk5 GTi 2.0T.

It's got extensive history and lots of receipts for bits that have been done, very tasteful and expensive mods all carried out at Awesome GTi.

I have a question about one of the mods, the single mass flywheel conversion with stage 3 clutch.

Has anyone else got this as to me the rattley noise on tick over and very slight irratic idle shouldn't be there but the previous owner did say that due to the single mass conversion (to handle the torque) the rattlely noise will be present, is this the case?

Also one of the retro fit Bi-Xenon headlight bulbs has gone, where do you guys get them from as they're quite expensive?

Thanks in advance.
05 5dr GTi black - APR stage 2+  Stage 2 Airtec FMIC - VWR 360mm front BBK inc FK spacers - Milltek turbo back resonated inc Hi-Flow CAT and downpipe - Forge Twintake - APR HPFP - Whiteline anti-lift - SMFW conversion - Stage3 Clutch

Offline bluebert92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100025.msg982250.html#msg982250
Re: New purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 04:29:01 pm »
I'm by no means a Clutch expert but my understanding is that the SMF is more durable and stronger then the DMF however isn't as smooth (for lack of a better word), A DMF will need changing as it will rattle around eventually during its life however I'm not sure the SMF will rattle at idle... someone on here should defo be able to provide more information on that though! - Welcome :drinking:

Offline carmaduk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 04:48:52 pm »
The previous owner changed to SMF and stage 3 clutch due to torque output of current tune as apparently better for it as it would just chew DMF to bits.

My concern is the rattle (diesel sound) may be nothing to do with the flywheel at all  :surprised:
05 5dr GTi black - APR stage 2+  Stage 2 Airtec FMIC - VWR 360mm front BBK inc FK spacers - Milltek turbo back resonated inc Hi-Flow CAT and downpipe - Forge Twintake - APR HPFP - Whiteline anti-lift - SMFW conversion - Stage3 Clutch

Offline bluebert92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100025.msg982250.html#msg982250
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 04:58:18 pm »
Ive heard of people "upgrading" to a SMF when heavily modding so it sounds about right, Easyish way to tell is does the rattling stop when you depress the clutch? - If not then I wouldn't want to scare munger yourself but it could potentially be the Timing Chain

Offline carmaduk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 09:50:41 am »
The noise is horrible and makes the car sound like it's has issues  :confused:

It does indeed pretty much go when the clutch is pressed which does point to the flywheel and as I said the previous owner did explain it to me but I just wanted to clarify as it doesn't sound nice at all.

Would that also cause the ever so slight drop and rise of revs on idle?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:30:08 am by carmaduk »

Offline bluebert92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 04:51:04 pm »
Ah if it stops when the clutch is depressed then I would say it's the clutch/flywheel as I said I'm not expert as to if you should worry or not but I have heard numerous stories of this being the case with a DMF