Make a donation

Author Topic: Couple of questions....Dyno plots & KO4 compressor surge  (Read 9203 times)

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Re: Couple of questions....Dyno plots & KO4 compressor surge
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 11:40:22 pm »
Niki maps around the compresser surge @MC71 mentioned after his Stage 2+ map that surge is only noticeable under a lot of load in a high gear (like foot to floor in 6th gear at low revs).

This is interesting, it's exactly what mine is doing and how it's brought about, it's not usually how I drive but it's like that chipped tooth you find with your tongue...once you've found it you can't leave it alone! 
It's actually easy to avoid when driving the car but I was curious and wanted to understand more about how this happens and to explore solutions. I had a fairly lengthy chat with JKM about it today and was given a very clear explanation as to why the KO4 equipped cars display this phenomena and interestingly why the KO3 equipped vehicles don't. Having understood this and realised that a correction in hardware to eliminate this is very expensive I'm inclined to live with it. When I came from a stage2+ map to a 2 the problem was alleviated by quite a large degree due to less boost being called for. Car is much smoother at stage 2 in fact. I plotted the graphs below from data extracted from my plots all using the same data points or as close as was possible.

On the left hand BHP and Torque graphs the blue plots are for stage 2 and the red for stage 2+. On the right hand graphs the red plots are for torque and the blue bhp.

I'm sure that Niki has done a thorough job in getting his software as refined as possible within the limitations of the OE turbo (all these positive reviews are a good indicator) but I feel I'm going to retain the Revo map as support is on my doorstep and I can get usually be seen very promptly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:17:47 pm by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Couple of questions....Dyno plots & KO4 compressor surge
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 10:24:19 am »
I think you would really benefit from a Rtech map, huge midrange increases can be had, and once mapped it won't need touching.
I've had a revo map but it was at second choice to R-tech!

But ultimately if you are happy with how the car drives on Stg2 then that's fine but that's quite a chunk of midrange you are losing out on by stepping back.

The issue is a mapping issue, sure you can fix it by physical changes to turbo, clipped blades etc, you can map around it and unfortunately Revo does not offer the adjustment to circumnavigate the problem.