Make a donation

Author Topic: Depo xenon look headlights just ordered,  (Read 8400 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Depo xenon look headlights just ordered,
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 11:56:39 pm »
Can I be of help?.

The main and dipped lights are h7 but I went for the bi xenon 6000k kit from china. main beam are 6000k h7. left the side lights as they are with 501 amber bulbs I got with the lights of a gti forum member on here but some people fit the clear/xenon white bulbs in again t10 or 501. the indicators are an unusual bulb and look like the BA9S bulbs but slimmer and you cannot change them for anything else but then again don't need to as they have the amber lense already mounted for indicators. I've fitted t10 led's to these as mine were melted and burnt out  :signLOL: so I had to replace the holders  :surprised:

you can see both amber in my signature  :happy2:

M

Offline anderson9

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 05:59:21 pm »
I've got a HID kit fitted on mine, never been stopped and it's passed 2 MOT's with them on.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 01:19:53 am »
Spoke.to a garage and mot tester today and he says some mot stations can be funny about the E mark on the lights and fail the mot but most certainly can fail you for having xenon after market on.
Guys at work also say it's a fail of your fitting after market xenons as vosa require you to have adjustable suspension or head light level adjusters with headlight washer system in place. who's cares as long as we have light  :signLOL:

Offline bluebert92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100025.msg982250.html#msg982250
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 05:34:10 pm »
I think the mot failure thing is more of a myth, similar to a decat kind of situation - if you find a decent garage then no dramas!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 12:26:03 am »
Just don't go to any main stealerships  :signLOL:

Offline An0NyMOUs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • A Nuisance
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 10:34:22 pm »
You cannot get an MOT failure from fitting HID kits in bi-xenon lights. Self adjusters and washers are only mandatory for a car which left the factory with xenon's.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2.0 FSI 4motion

Offline downtime

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 08:59:33 am »
You cannot get an MOT failure from fitting HID kits in bi-xenon lights. Self adjusters and washers are only mandatory for a car which left the factory with xenon's.

Whaaattt!!! Yes you can fail, for several reasons.

1. No aftermarket Hx connector HID kit has e-approval. That is first mandatory requirement for MOT pass and is EU wide legislation. You can only use either D2x, D1x or D3x HID bulbs which means the whole headlight assembly needs to be compliant.
2. Automatic headlight adjustment and washers ARE MANDATORY TO ALL CARS WITH HID OR LED LIGHTS WHICH HAVE MORE THAN 2000 LUMENS AND ARE MANUFACTURED AFTER 2001. No exceptions here, again EU legislation.
Read here, this is for UK :
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120606172804/http:/assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf
UK cannot deviate from EU legislation on road safety issues, they must comply.

So only option to get legal HID lights is to retrofit compliant headlight assemblies, automatic self-levelling (either with sensors or automatic suspension) and washers. All other options are illegal for road use. There's no debate about this, it's regulated by law.

If you install 20w HID kit which will stay under the 2000 lumen boundary, then you don't need self-levelling nor washers. But you still need correct bulb type. Means D1x, D2x, D3x or D4x. No Hx bulb will be compliant as no e-approval on them.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:02:25 am by downtime »

Offline An0NyMOUs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • A Nuisance
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 09:17:37 am »
You can read legislations all you like. I'm in the motor trade and know many MOT testers. They don't fail people.

2.0 FSI 4motion

Offline downtime

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 08:36:06 am »
You can read legislations all you like. I'm in the motor trade and know many MOT testers. They don't fail people.

Well they are breaking the law, simple as that. You think you can dismiss what is in legislation just because in your opinion it's fine to install not approved HID kits to not approved headlight assemblies? Pretty dangerous attitude.

And you don't know all MOT testers. Luckily some still have common sense and they will fail you for having illegal lights.

And what was most worrying was this comment:

Self adjusters and washers are only mandatory for a car which left the factory with xenon's.

Which is total bullsh*t. You should know if you're in motor trade business. You should've written, mandatory in your own opinion.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:39:00 am by downtime »

Offline An0NyMOUs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • A Nuisance
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 09:04:27 am »
I'm going by what other people have told me and what I've read on some forums myself. I don't have the time to sit and read legislations all day...

I've read in many places that if the car didn't leave the factory with xenon lights and some form of aftermarket HID/Xenon light has been fitted, washers and self adjusters aren't necessary.

Besides, as I'm sure you'll know, a lot of cars that go in for MOT's have more serious issues than an aftermarket HID kit.

2.0 FSI 4motion

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 09:47:35 am »
All aftermarket hid bi xenon head lights without the E mark are a fail and they don't have self levelling suspension or washers in place. Those mot testers are meant to fail these lights.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:43:48 pm by r5gtt »

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 06:33:08 pm »

Not in Northern Ireland.

Offline Danknott15

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 10:34:11 am »
Can anybody who's fitted these tell me whether I need canbus or non canbus hid? Also do I need any additional adapters/bulb holders??

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 01:42:37 pm »
"HID Kits" in reflector housing headlights are stupid. You're just making the car look cheap, yourself look like a tw*t and annoying other road users.

Oh and not to mention that you'll probably have poorer visibility than standard headlights. Because blue lights do not equal better lighting.

I hope more MOT testers fail them.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)