Make a donation

Author Topic: MDI Armrest  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Stoich_87

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
MDI Armrest
« on: February 10, 2016, 10:02:16 am »
Presume this has been asked many times, but i'll ask anyway

Got all the bits to fit RCD510 and MDI, but i've just got a standard storage armrest, doesn't have the slot for fitting the MDI kit (which i've already purchased) Can the outer skin just be replaced? Or do I need to buy a full armrest replacement?

Any help appreciated.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
Re: MDI Armrest
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:47:47 pm »
Not sure what a standard storage armrest is like I've always seen one with a changer or a dock..

But If it's just a storage dock I would have thought the storage section pops out and your MDI can fit in there. Not sure if you will need any additional wiring? Perhaps someone more techy than myself can confirm lol

Offline tlnds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 02:08:48 pm »
If you want the MDI you would need to replace the outer armrest casing with an MDI version rather than storage version like you have. Its really easy to change the outer case but if there is no changer or MDI there currently I think you would need the wiring loom to run up under the centre console.

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 02:29:57 pm »
If you want the MDI you would need to replace the outer armrest casing with an MDI version rather than storage version like you have. Its really easy to change the outer case but if there is no changer or MDI there currently I think you would need the wiring loom to run up under the centre console.

Is the wiring for the MDI and changer the same?
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline tlnds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 02:43:12 pm »

Not sure, they might be different but I cannot confirm this as I have neither, just the cubby type. Hopefully someone else could confirm.

Some info here: http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/26124-retro-fitting-cd-autochanger-or-ipod-connection-under-armrest/

Offline Stoich_87

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 02:55:55 pm »

Excellent. I bought the full kit with loom so that's fine. Wasn't sure if the armrest casing was separate or not. Next question does anyone know the correct part number for it?

Offline tlnds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 04:17:01 pm »

Excellent. I bought the full kit with loom so that's fine. Wasn't sure if the armrest casing was separate or not. Next question does anyone know the correct part number for it?
Check out page 86 (EDIT: 86-89) of this PDF..

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/golfgoodies/body.pdf

Let me know if you get one as I'm in need of a standard cubby outer casing! I have a scirocco armrest which is the exact same but a shade darker than the anthracite grey golf one! Not a big deal but annoys me when I think about it  :grin:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:27:01 pm by tlnds »

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 07:50:51 pm »

No I just fitted a MDI in mine last week, the changer and old iPod dock have the same rectangular port but the MDI has a slightly more squarish port. I managed to bag a loom off eBay for £25 which did the job  :happy2:

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 12:44:55 pm »

No I just fitted a MDI in mine last week, the changer and old iPod dock have the same rectangular port but the MDI has a slightly more squarish port. I managed to bag a loom off eBay for £25 which did the job  :happy2:

Balls. So you have to run this loom from the headunit to the armrest?

I've looked into it a bit, and it seems with some pin swaps, it *could* be possible to use the existing iPod dock loom.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 07:23:12 pm »
@Nasir yes as far as I'm aware as I'm assuming it wouldn't be fitted originally from factory..

I've read somewhere about pin swaps but it goes way over my head  :signLOL:

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 10:59:18 pm »
@Nasir yes as far as I'm aware as I'm assuming it wouldn't be fitted originally from factory..

I've read somewhere about pin swaps but it goes way over my head  :signLOL:

I did the pin swap from cd changer to aux, which was easy enough. This seems more involved. I'll leave it. Cheers anyway  :happy2: