Make a donation

Author Topic: Quick AMD air filter question  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Bracey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Quick AMD air filter question
« on: February 09, 2016, 04:36:22 pm »
Did a bit of maintenance on the induction system that came fitted to my edition 30 when I bought it today. It's a 'as performance' induction kit with an AMD filter, see pic below.

[imghttp://[/img]

It seems like a quality bit of kit with 90mm silicon hoses and an aliminium centre section, so very happy that it came with the car. I was planning to give the air filter a good clean as it's pretty dirty but on closer inspection it's deteriorating quite a bit so I'm looking to get a new one. AMD want £60 for a direct replacement which is ok but thought I would have a look around and see what else is available. I found this ramair filter on eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/391073203431
The dimensions seem pretty similar, the main difference being that the neck length on the ramair filter is about 30mm less also the ramair filter has a smaller overall diameter. My question is will this filter fit ok and if so will it be as effective as the bigger AMD filter? To my mind it should work fine, but I've never had an induction system before so wasn't 100% sure! Or should I just stop being a cheapskate and get the AMD filter!!

Cheers for any advice.

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Quick AMD air filter question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 04:42:14 pm »
email Ramair through the add and they will sort you out with the correct dimensions on the neck to suit your needs.
Also you'll love the noise the ramair makes as I had a huge one fitted but removed it as my dsg wasn't having any of it as I'm not mapped up :signLOL:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 04:47:51 pm by r5gtt »

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 04:43:45 pm »
In regard to performance I would assume that unless your mapped up heavily then a small difference in the surface areas of the filters wouldn't matter.

I'm sure someone will come along with more experience anywho

Offline Bracey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 04:58:08 pm »

Brilliant, thanks for the quick replies.
R5gt - thanks for that, I didn't even know that was an option so I will get straight on to them. You might have just saved me £40!

Peskyjones - I'm running a revo stage 1 map, but I was of the same mind that a small drop in surface area would make no noticeable difference. But I'm making that assumption based on no experience or expertise whatsoever!!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:06:58 pm »
No worried mate  :happy2:

I got my huge filter for £33 delievered  :signLOL:

Offline Bracey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 02:50:13 pm »
After all that I went original in the end! After a few emails to ramair it turned out none of their filters would fit! Cost me a few quid more but original is always best!!