Make a donation

Author Topic: car is running lean  (Read 6492 times)

dansmith180

Re: car is running lean
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 03:42:12 pm »
Thanks for the help and everything guys  :happy2:

No misfires of anything strange now it's back together, runs perfectly from what I can hear and feel. Turbo makes boost exactly as before and all is smooth and quite (as it ever was).

Need to plug into vagcom and really have a proper look at all the things you've suggested this evening or tomorrow when I've got some time as been busy with work this week.

I think it was the NGK 7's that I triesld in there and my mapper said they were throwing a fault code at the redline and they've seen that problem from NGK's countless times.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 03:55:48 pm »
I thought it was weak valve springs causing the top end misfires on these engines?  Or is that just applicable to the K04 engine?

Anyway, thank god you got away with no damage from that exploding plug  :happy2:   

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

dansmith180

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 04:15:03 pm »
I thought it was weak valve springs causing the top end misfires on these engines?  Or is that just applicable to the K04 engine?

Anyway, thank god you got away with no damage from that exploding plug  :happy2:

Yeah that's what they said to me, of its not the plugs then probably the valve springs but luckily was plugs. Yeah I know right  :jumpmove:, I think because of the speed and pressure it was under it was probably total failure or nothing with that piece, will keep an eye on it and make sure all seems OK before I go hooning again though

dansmith180

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 07:55:32 pm »
So did some live logging on the fuel pressure after finding the section on Rosstechwiki (as I'm new to VCDS). All seems fine however the % for group 106 which I believe is to do with how hard the in tank pump is working did creep up above what's normal after idling for 10 minutes or so.

How it started

I read anything under 55% is fine on idol, 55%-60% is a gray area and 60%+ indicates a problem.

This is the last photo I took but I did see 63.7% before I turned the car off

I left the car off for 5 minutes +, turned on and started logging again, same thing happened but it took at least twice as long to start increasing and I stopped it at about 58% which took about 15 minutes to get to.

Is this normal or does it indicate an issue with the LPFP/ fuel lines/ fuel filter?

Sorry I couldn't look at some of the other stuff suggested as i'm still a noob at all this  :rolleye:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 08:21:26 pm »
When did you last do the fuel filter and was it a genuine one?  And did you ever swap out the in-tank pump for the revised one?

The newer one has no lid because the original ones had over heating problems.   Standard one should be fine with your power levels as that's all I've got in my (mapped) ED30 + a Loba HPFP and it's got plenty of juice  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

dansmith180

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 08:45:44 pm »
Fuel filter was about 25k ago now, I believe it was genuine, and as far as I know it's the original fuel pump in there.

I was looking at one of these http://www.awesomegti.com/deatschwerks-dw65v-high-flow-fuel-pump-90776 and a new fuel filter from TPS

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 09:15:14 pm »
You would be the only person I know of that has misfire issues with NGK Iridium 7's...........

Change the fuel filter, and log the LPFP whilst on the mvoe and under load, and see what the DC goes up to. Log 230 and 231
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales