Make a donation

Author Topic: Bilstein B8 on MK5 R32  (Read 3383 times)

Offline skuncan67

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 0
Bilstein B8 on MK5 R32
« on: May 25, 2016, 07:33:48 am »
Hi All,

I waas looking for some feedback on anyone using Bilstein B8 shocks... also which springs are the best option... i have been reading so much my eyes hurt... :laugh:
need a real life review !!!

thanks
Duncan

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
Re: Bilstein B8 on MK5 R32
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 05:19:28 pm »
Hi Duncan,

I'm running Bilstein B8's on my ED30 with a set of VWR springs. I had the springs fitted first, and then the shocks once the originals gave up the ghost. Originally I just had the springs and then H&R arb's, which gave some great improvement by reducing the roll. The ride deteriorated over time as the VW shocks got old and lost all damping effect.

I wasn't sure what to do - I didn't want Koni's (had them on my mkiv, and just didn't like the ride or quality), and didn't want coilovers. I didn't want the car any lower, and so was looking at replacement dampers - the reason I originally went with the VWR springs was because they gave the smallest amount of lowering (20mm), which is perfect in my eyes. So after a fair amount of searching, I found the B8's as they are marketed as being shortened dampers to work with lowering springs. I also had Bilsteins on my old mkiv (after the Koni's), so sort of knew what they would be like.

I found the whole mk6 vs mk5 B8 damper reviews on Vwvortex and got to the point you're at now!

Ultimately I went with the mk5 versions - they are hard when going over potholes / broken roads, but are no more crashy than VW dampers in my opinion. They are fantastic on compressions and sweeping bends. The car does 'feel' the road a lot more - it is now even more fun on a B-road. With these mods, there isn't much roll in the car anymore.

Still, suspension mods are so subjective - best try and get  ride in someone's car if you can?

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline skuncan67

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 03:08:26 pm »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback i really appreciate... so you feel that the VWR springs are better than the H&R ??
plus what top mounts are you using... VW or aftermarket ?

thanks
D

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 10:12:51 pm »
You're welcome,

I'm sorry - no idea if VWR springs are better than H&R. I just like how the VWR springs give the minimal amount of lowering - about 20mm I believe. I'm using the RS3 top mounts - they're supposed to be a bit firmer than standard

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline GTI-Ross

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 11:49:00 pm »
I have some B8's for sale in the classified if you are interested mate  :happy2:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline skuncan67

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 06:42:31 am »
Hi Dave,

thanks for the feedback again... RS3 top mounts sound like the way forward... you using them for the back and front ?
do you know which year fits the golf 5 ?? from that i can find the part numbers..

thanks agian..
D

You're welcome,

I'm sorry - no idea if VWR springs are better than H&R. I just like how the VWR springs give the minimal amount of lowering - about 20mm I believe. I'm using the RS3 top mounts - they're supposed to be a bit firmer than standard

Offline skuncan67

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 02:03:16 pm »
All,

So i have got the B8 and H&R 20/25mm drop sport springs.... wanted to know if anyone is running bumper stops with this setup...or even dust covers ??

thanks and regards
Duncan