Make a donation

Author Topic: Went mud pluggin today  (Read 5848 times)

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: Went mud pluggin today
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 12:00:56 pm »
You off to Jay at Miglior now?

i think he'd punch me in the face  :grin:

anyway:

i only clean it when i add decals (various guys in the club want 4x4 things doing like G4 challenge and camel trophy stuff and i use my truck to test them for sizes)

and if you think day time pluggin looks scary RR you should try it at night, especially when you climb massive inclines and cant see the drop offs on the other side  :grin: lights are a must!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 12:12:51 pm »
Loving your sticker wordsmithing, VC!

This shot is extremely commercial  :notworthy: : -

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 04:40:35 pm »
Thats it im buying a defender and its gonna be a beast, plenty of places in yorkshire to chew up. It also means the Cupra can have a rest in winter.

Do you recommend any paticular brands for modding ie lift kits, guards, winchs etc.

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 04:58:48 pm »
Thats it im buying a defender and its gonna be a beast, plenty of places in yorkshire to chew up. It also means the Cupra can have a rest in winter.

Do you recommend any paticular brands for modding ie lift kits, guards, winchs etc.

all down to budget, i wouldnt bother with a winch to begin with, just get yourself a winch accessory kit with strops etc for pulling and getting pulled

anything you fit dont buy pretty, pretty breaks  :grin:

as a newbie i would say the must haves are:

winch accessory kit
lift kit
mud tyres
hi lift jack
snorkel
rock sliders
steering guard

that will get you everywhere  :happy2:

ebay is awash with it all. ignore side steps, they dont last, anything that sticks out from the body work make sure it is strong (for eg if you fit a lightbar on the roof expect the 1st low branch to remove it for you - hence why most serious pluggers mount the lights upside down)

a snorkel is a snorkel, you dont get what you pay for alot of the time as it all does the same thing, mine was about £60 iirc and does the same thing as ones double that money

if you do want a winch buy electric not hydraulic as the electric is idiot proof and hydro being geared requires real skill, better to buy one with a winch bumper than attempting to mount the winch onto an existing one

the steering arms at the front span almost the width of the truck and are really exposed, easy to bend and a royal pain to take off, tow truck out, bend back and refit  :laugh: simpler to fit a £60ish guard

defenders have more talent than the driver and are brilliant at making you look good, basics are as long as you have good ground clearance and decent tyres you can plug.. simples  :innocent:

defenders ftw though, discoveries have too much plastic and are expensive to get lifted etc, range rovers...er... no  :grin: unless you chop the backs of them off, freelander and you'll get laughed at

:drinking:

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 05:28:31 pm »
Is the lift kit just springs or do you need dampers whats the best setup etc? Also what about all the over guards you can get ie for diffs and fuel tank are these a waist of money.

cheers for the advice VC.

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 05:41:57 pm »
best set up, dunno really all its more or less the same stuff out there unless you go comp/pro so you shouldnt be spending more than £100-200 for the kit (springs and shocks) - its about getting the height to lift you up (i'm running a 2" lift)

guards depend on what your taking on really, doesnt hurt to spend money protecting the various areas though. my truck did weigh 3.5 tonnes with all the gear on.. now mostly stripped ive got it down to about 2 tonnes as it was a pig to drive on road

1 evil bedded in rock buried in the center of the tracks of a muddy lane though can make you cry for sure

thing is it all adds up very quickly, if you can find a truck with most of the gear already on then you'll save a heap of cash

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 05:47:53 pm »
ok cheers VC :drinking:

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 05:51:28 pm »
welcomes  :drinking:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 06:18:04 pm »
most important thing is mud tyres.  Personnally i say go for the 2" lift kit(but some people reccomend the castor correction arms if you raise it like that), some underbody protection, and some driving lessons.

and a shovel

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 06:46:42 pm »
time for some win:

hopefully i'll have our videos soon of the trip out when they eventually get youtoooobed  :indifferent:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 06:57:24 pm »
that anti stall kit look good

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box