Make a donation

Author Topic: Towbar?  (Read 10881 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Towbar?
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:58:57 pm »
Do VW do a hidden towbar for the Mk5 Golf and if so how much and what does it look like?
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Towbar?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 11:21:24 pm »
yes they do a detachable towbar mate, but i cant help you with any pics/ prices etc
Still Here!

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 12:01:19 am »
yes they do and I've got one fitted to mine. You need a new rear valence, you can get a GTI one with a slot cut for the towbar, you also get a cover which clips on when the towbar is detached, and their is a cutaway in the spare wheel tool holder for the detachable hitch. IIRC the towbar was about £120 think I got mine from witter, the rear valence was about £30 and the cover about a tenner, plus you need a special relay box which was about £15 to connect it all up, I fitted mine myself as you can tell. Will post up some pics tomorrow, looks very neat job :)

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:11:53 am »
Nice one thanks....Will only use it 3/4 times a year so don't want the thing sticking out for the other 361/2 days !
Oddly the last time i had a towbar was on my MK1 Gti and a woman in a MG Metro (Remember them...especially the MG Metro Turbo :smiley:)
Drove into the back of me caused £600 damage to her car......none to mine :smiley:

Would like to see the pics JMSPEAR

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 01:47:41 pm »
TOWBAR

Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 01:58:17 pm »
Thanks SNOOPY
I think the trouble i may have is that i have an ED30 and might have to change a bit more than i want to. The tow bar hides itself perfectly.
Will try witter and see what they have to say now i have seen how having it will not effect the look at all.
Is the reinforcement of the rear panel already there or does that get added during the installation?

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 02:21:09 pm »
The bit behind the rear bumper gets replaced.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 05:48:36 pm »
I've got a towbar like you need for sale. It's actually the same tow bar that Vw supply from the factory. It's westfalia. It's also got the electrics too. It cost me a fortune!

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:52:26 pm »
Snoopy beat me to the pics, been a bit busy today. The ed 30 and normal GTI lower valence are interchangeable, IIRC so if VW don't do an ed 30 lower rear valence just fit a normal GTI one. Behind the plastic bumper is a socking great steel bar that runs the width of the car, this gets unbolted and put away, then your towbar slides into the rear chassis rails, if you look on the inside of the rails, up under the rear inside the rear wheel arch there is some tape that was applied at the factory, like gaffer tape, peel that off and you will find bolt holes behind, line up with your towbar which has slid into the chassi rails, screw up the bolts and then start on the electrics, fitting the bumper is soooo easy the electrics are the challenging bit, I ran the constant live from the rear cigarette lighter socket to the relay box (which you need, wasn't in my kit had to buy seperately) and then you run scotchlock cables from the various feeds into the raly box and from the relay box to your towbar electric socket. Jobs a good un!

Offline Mussey11

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2023, 07:31:34 pm »
How can i find like this valance ?