Make a donation

Author Topic: Turbo upgrade for more power.  (Read 1013 times)

Offline GTI 500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Turbo upgrade for more power.
« on: June 02, 2024, 08:13:33 am »
Hi guys, need a bit of help/advise/opinions on the best way to go on turbo upgrade,
Car is a 2005 Golf gti,
Has Revo stage 2 tune, with BCS turbo back decat, WRC R32 style exhaust, Racingline induction kit, standard intercooler.
Looking to upgrade the turbo, my 2 options are K04 kit or hybrid K03, not looking for massive power as its a daily and want to keep it reliable, but need something to put that old school smile on my face when on boost.
Whats peoples opinions??

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
Re: Turbo upgrade for more power.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2024, 08:35:18 am »
K03 for city driving and instant response, K04 for highways and open roads

My K04 conversion isn't complete yet so I cant say for sure if the finished car would act the same way, but the K03 has almost instant response down low compared to the K04. K03 can launch you from 2.2k rpm as if you were hit by a truck. K04 comes alive at 3k rpm or so but it pulls strong well into 6.5k rpm, something the K03 can't do.

Hybrid could get you the best of both but at the same time I don't trust the K03 to handle being hybridized. The hot side likes to crack around the wastegate on a factory tune.

I went with the K04 and don't regret it one bit. Currently running it at 1.6 bar boost and does 10-130 in a little under 7 seconds. I'm sure it'll feel quite a bit better once I sort out my HPFP, fit the S3 injectors and re-tune the car. It's running quite lean at the moment..

Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Stock Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp