Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 GTI shuddering  (Read 224 times)

Offline VW

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
MK5 GTI shuddering
« on: June 25, 2024, 08:58:57 pm »
Hi all, I took my MK5 GTI for a drive today and it started shuddering after about 5 minutes of driving, I slowed down and dropped into a lower gear but it was still shuddering and felt like it was going to stall. I pulled over and stopped and the car was still shuddering quite a bit at idle with the engine light flashing. The car has had a constant engine light with fault code P000A: camshaft positioned bank 1 slow response, not a plausible signal which my garage couldn't resolve even after stripping the engine apart but seemed to drive fine with it until now (it's been around 7 months). Just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences/resolutions and costs...

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: MK5 GTI shuddering
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 09:02:07 pm »
Flashing EML means you've got a misfire. Will be plugs, coils or injectors. Injectors are common failures on these, coils go too and so will plugs if you don't change them on correct intervals.

Offline VW

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2024, 09:04:32 pm »
I've had the coil packs and spark plugs changed as I did a major service about 9 months ago so I didn't think they would go out this quick

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 09:10:26 pm »
Probably an injector then! I've had 2 of mine go since I had the car.

Offline VW

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2024, 09:13:05 pm »
Sounds like it, thank you! Do you know roughly how much replacing that would cost?

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2024, 09:16:31 pm »
It isn't cheap. It's a big job with labour and I think the injectors are nearly £200 each.

I think it cost me about £400 all in.

If you have the money it's worth getting all four done to save paying the labour cost multiple times, but it is expensive to change £600 extra worth of injectors that don't need doing yet. But they will go at some point. I didn't do this though, but know I will regret it when the next one goes.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2024, 09:31:06 am »
That or excessive carbon fouling can cause misfires.......either way the intake mani needs to come off to inspect that or the injectors.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI