Make a donation

Author Topic: Non VAG Rally Slag.......  (Read 3178 times)

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Non VAG Rally Slag.......
« on: April 08, 2010, 11:17:38 pm »
Where do I start....

At the beginning of the year, me and my mate decided we wanted to do a bit of racing throughout the summer. I had looked into go-karting but to do it seriously looked like it might cost a bit. I also have a motocross bike which is only a 2006 model so would still be quite competetive, but motocross can cost big ££££££. I remember seeing a poster somewher about some Autograss racing. After a quick search on google, I found my local club, phoned the chairman of the club and was down at the next comitee meeting 2 days later. This all went on about 2 months ago.

Since then, i've bought the car that came 3rd in the local Championship last year in it's class and have given it a bit of a makeover.

After a journey to the other side of the Forth Road Bridge, this is what our £530 got us......

We had the bumpers and bonnet e.t.c but we already had these off ready to get cracking. The amount of spares we got was unreal, 3 cylinder heads, a rear axle, shocks and springs, full exhaust system, 9 spare wheels to name a few :surprised:

There was plenty to sort (seat mounts to make, exhaust hangers to make, rub down and respray, sticker up, wheels and tyres to change and paint, new ignition panel to fit, new battery to get, repair and modify battery box e.t.c) but after a month or so working on it, this is what we have now........

I get the impression that my girlfriend is getting sick of me and this car already judging by the sticker she bought me.....

Think i may have went a bit overboard with the stickers in some places!
HUUUGGGEE thanks to our very own Mr Cherry for sorting me out with a heap of decals, really pleased with them :happy2:

Roll on April 18th for the 1st race  :jumping:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:30:08 am by MattPoss »
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: Not VAG, And Not Even Road Legal .........
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 12:00:37 am »
From that 1st shot to that last shot mate.....  :congrats: excellent skills! bet you can wait to get out there now  :jumping:

nice to finally see what the beastie looks like  :evilgrin:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:37:28 am »
looks awsome dude, bet you cant wait. :happy2:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline themonke

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 09:23:12 am »
I want a go!!  :signLOL:
Next: Medium window tints & Lowering springs

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 10:29:47 am »
Thanks alot guys :star:

My camera skills leave a lot to be desired but you get the point (can't knock the trusty old Nokia camera phone :wink:)

I haven't raced as of yet but so far, I would definatly reccomend it to anyone. One of the cheapest ways to get into racing with local clubs all over the UK. Costs me £50 for a club membership and race license per year and £9 every time I race. Spares for AX's, early 106's and early Saxo's are all over the scrapyards and as it's a non tuning class, running costs and parts are dirt cheap! If anyone wants any more info, drop me a PM.

Plan is to race this one between us for a year, then if we like it we will buy another. If not, we'll sell up and try something else. We don't exactly stand to lose much money!

Cheers again,
Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Non VAG Rally Slag.......
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 12:59:32 pm »
Love the fact youv'e gone out there and done this, very cool!  :congrats:

Best of luck with the racing!  :happy2:

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 01:13:42 pm »
Love the fact youv'e gone out there and done this, very cool!  :congrats:

Best of luck with the racing!  :happy2:

x2 big pat on the back, good luck in your first race... :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 07:06:49 pm »
watched a few grass track events and its insane  :happy2:

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 07:55:45 pm »
I think i know the place you bought that from, theres a big tracl along from my tuners gaff. always fancied trying it

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 09:04:33 pm »
Thanks folks :happy2:

This is the first time is messed about with a car like this really, it's normally diggers and things like plant and machinery, or paying someone else to do something to my car.

keith, I bought it from right near your place, a lad called Scott Lindsell. Used to race at his local tracks before starting to race in Cumbria.

Matt