Make a donation

Author Topic: side light as drl's ?  (Read 10824 times)

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
Re: side light as drl's ?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 04:43:45 pm »
^^^^
Mine are according to some Euro rule (forgotten the #) and are front DRLs only without rears or any other lights.

This is going to be a right mish-mash of legislation in different territories even just in Europe. All the studies and long consultive documents I've read from various European (including UK) countries have conflicting ideas and proposals and the UK has been particularly resistant to it happening at all.. Duh! :stupid: So much for a united Europe.

The European directive on the subject (possibly 95/54/EC, which covers "e-marking" and other automotive requirements, but I might be wrong) includes a standard on DRLs which specify their requirements. It is up to individual member states to transpose the requirements of 95/54/EC (or any other directive) via a UK standard - as an example, the EU EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Directive 2004/108/EC is transposed in the Member States through a number of harmonised standards, which in the UK is accomplished via The Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulations 2006, which in turn specifies the standard BS EN 61000 for Electromagnetic compatibility.

It's a bit of a mess and it works reasonably well given the broad reach of Europe and the countries differing histories and infrastructure. Take the common-or-garden mains plug, across the EU you will find:

English three square pin 13A fused plug as defined by BS EN 1362
Two round pin "continental" type plug, as commonly used in France and Spain and all over Europe
Three round pin "swiss" type plug, used in Switzerland/Germany/etc and all over Europe (defined by some TuV standard)
Two flat pin and one round pin as sometimes found in Eastern Europe/ex Soviet bloc countries
Strange Soviet implementations of all of the above

Enforcing everyone to use the same plug is something that everyone would object to and, whatever standard was chosen, would cost billions of euros in both time and labour as the infrastructure was appropriately modified, and would be a nightmare to implement and enforce.

The current system of EU Directives being implemented by local regulations calling on local harmonised standards works, more or less, but it's messy and results in silly amounts of paperwork.

I'm having to deal with all of this stuff at work at the moment which is about as exciting as it sounds...

Anyway, DRLs are lights at the front only and not taillights. The UK argued against DRLs because 1) VCA don't like change, 2) they argued that there would be a decrease in fuel economy as a result of increased alternator load, 3) questionable data on DRLs improving safety. However I understand (being, in one of my many lives, a member of the Centre for Transport Studies at Imperial and UCL) that there is sufficient data to say that DRLs do improve safety somewhat at negligible cost.

Anyway. Should go back to doing work I suppose. The Low Voltage Directive is so much fun...

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: side light as drl's ?
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 04:49:15 pm »

Anyway, DRLs are lights at the front only and not taillights. The UK argued against DRLs because 1) VCA don't like change, 2) they argued that there would be a decrease in fuel economy as a result of increased alternator load, 3) questionable data on DRLs improving safety. However I understand (being, in one of my many lives, a member of the Centre for Transport Studies at Imperial and UCL) that there is sufficient data to say that DRLs do improve safety somewhat at negligible cost.

....That exactly and perfectly sums up what I read and understood.

I see you are back to pissing excellence again!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!