Make a donation

Author Topic: Getting Wireless on the Go - with Iphone/Ipod or Ipad  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Getting Wireless on the Go - with Iphone/Ipod or Ipad
« on: August 04, 2010, 11:15:18 am »
Wasn't sure whether to post this, but as there seems to be more and more people getting Ipad's etc, I thought why not.

If you have a mobile broadband stick from any of the many providers, Voda, O2, 3 etc, then you obviously can't use it directly with an iphone / touch or Ipad because non of them have host USB sockets.

However, I have recently purchased a small device called the Zoom 3G "N" wireless router. It's basically a small device with a lithium ion battery (like a digital camera) that the usb stick plugs into. The Zoom device then automatically connects to the internet via the usb stick, then transmits it's wirelessly. You set up your own network password and SSID and you can then have a private wireless network where ever you go (subject to 3g coverage of course).

Work bought me mine to go with my works Vodaphone 3G USB dongle and it works perfectly. I can connect my Iphone, netbook etc all at the same time and share the connection. The battery lasts for about 3 hours continuous or all day if you switch it off between uses. The whole unit plus into the wall for recharging at home.

it even has a lan connection at the back so if you prefer, your netbook / laptop and be connected this way if you don't want wireless. Ours cost about £45.00 a month or so ago from our IT supplier, but I have also seen them on fleabay.

Piccies:

Just thought I would share ?

Cheers

Andrew
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:17:37 am by Norbreck21a »

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: Getting Wireless on the Go - with Iphone/Ipod or Ipad
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:19:21 am »
Looks a neat solution that Andrew.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email