Make a donation

Author Topic: Airport Express.......  (Read 1128 times)

Ifti

Airport Express.......
« on: August 15, 2010, 02:40:33 pm »
I have an Apple Airport Extreme at the moment, with everything connecting to it wirelessly. The only Ethernet port in use is the one connecting to my cable modem.
This is all based upstairs.

I need a single wired connection downstairs, but dont want to run a cable all the way down.

Initially I was thinking of buying one of those pairs of adaptors, that allow you to run data through your home electrical cables, by plugging an adaptor into a plug socket at each end, then plugging the ethernet into that.

However, I wanted to know whether an Airport Express would do the same? I know it has an ethernet port on it, but can this be used for a wired client? I have a feeling its only for connecting to a cable modem?

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Airport Express.......
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:29:35 pm »
Pretty sure it's only for a Cable Modem.

Best bet would be to go to your nearest Apple store and speak to the Genius Bar people. There may be a way of getting it to act as a booster from which you can run a wired connection from.

Or alternatively try the Apple Support forums. Someone may have already answered the question.

My gut feeling is cable modem only though.

Ifti

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:32:19 pm »
Been reading up on it on the Apple store, and it says there its an ethernet port for your modem as well.  :confused:
Oh well, back to Plan A!

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 05:40:49 pm »
I set me mam's house up with a extreme and then a express to extend the network, before we got a wireless printer we used the express to wireless print, and that was a Ethernet printer cable but it's got USB too

I'm sure you can plug in a computer without wifi and use the a Ethernet cable from the express to get connected, it also allows you to connect to a Hifi and stream your iTunes music, idea is too have a few in different rooms and then control your music centrally   

Great bit of kit set up does it all for you in minutes  :happy2:
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.